Located along the A3400 near Wootton Wawen is the Lodge to the former Edstone Hall.
Dating back to c730, the Edstone estate formed part of a monastery owned by the Saxon Ailric.
The Poet William Somerville wrote his famous poem ‘The Chase’ while living at Edstone and the Somerville family held the Hall for six generations. The present Edstone Hall was built in 1939 by the Birmingham Engineer Percy Pritchard.
Built of sandstone ashlar, the Lodge dates to circa early 19th century. In a Neo-Classical style, the Lodge features a portico with Doric columns and engaged pilasters.
The Lodge has casement windows with cornices and is Grade II listed
The pedimented portico with oculus.
Situated in a rural spot in Wootton Wawen is Wootton Hall. The former country house was built
in 1687 and constructed of Wilmscote stone and ashlar dressings. The house was owned by the Catholic recusant families Carrington, Holford and Smythe and believed to be a centre for Catholic worship during the recusancy. Wootton Hall was one of the first Italian Renaissance Palladian style mansions to be built.
The facades feature a forward central pediment and sash windows with alternate pediments and quoins.
The entrance lodge features four Ionic columns on plinths supporting the pediment.
Pedimented and decorated circular windows adorn the entrance lodge. Wootton Hall is now converted flats and is Grade II listed
Located on Watling Street in the village of Wall is the remains of the small Roman town Letocetum. Watling Street was the principle road from London to the West Midlands. Around AD 50, the Roman Fourteenth Legion (Legio XIV Gemina) established a fortress on the hill just beyond the present church.
The centre of a large rural population, Letocetum had public baths surrounded by a portico and a mansio (Roman Inn). The cobbled street surface is still exposed in places.
The mansio accommodated travelling officers, imperial messengers and visitors and may have housed the town’s administration. The mansio would have had an open central courtyard (atrium) with a formal garden and gallery to the first floor.
By the 4th century, Letocetum declined rapidly after the settlement moved to Lichfield.
The site is owned by The National Trust and managed and maintained by English Heritage.
Located on Station Street is the County Court built in 1862 as an Italianate palazzo. The stone faced three storey building features rusticated pilaster sides and is Grade II listed.
The central entablature is carved with the Royal Arms and the motto of the British Monarchy
‘Dieu et mon Droit’ which is French for’ God and my right.’
The semi-circular headed windows feature keystones, two of which detail carved figure heads (above). The interior of the building features one single court room.