Located outside the Protestant church of St Mary is the bronze statue of the German Monk, Martin Luther. Born in 1483, Luther was a professor of theology and a former Catholic priest. His translation of the Bible later influenced the English King James version and he became a controversial figure in his later years due to the content of his writing. The statue was located at the New Market in 1893 and the bronze figure stands upon a granite pedestal. Marking the 500th anniversary of Luther’s birth, the statue was moved to its present location outside the church of St Mary in 1983. The statue was sculpted by the German sculptors Martin Paul Otto and Robert Toberentz who both studied at the Berlin Academy of Art.