The poet and humanist Marko Marulic was born in Papalic Palace in 1450. Now the home of the City Museum in Split, a capital bearing the crest of Marulic is on display which dates to the late 15th century / early 16th century. The capital is likely to have been part of the Marulic Palace and the crest is in a simple shield depicting a lion with a raised paw in the upper section over symmetrical wings.
Born in 1450, Marko Marulic was a poet and humanist who is known as the father of the Croatian Renaissance. He studied classical languages, literature and philosophy taking inspiration from the Bible. His works, which were written in Latin, were translated into many languages and published during the 16th & 17th centuries. The bronze bust (above) is the work of the 20th century Croatian sculptor Ivan Mestrović and is on display in the City Museum, Split.
Situated on the north east side of the Peristil is the Church of Saint Rocco. Dating to 1516, the Renaissance church is one of many churches in Dalmatia named after Saint Rocco who is said to have helped protect people against the Plague. Originally, the chapel was a family dwelling and was converted by the Croatian Poet and Humanist, Marko Marulic. The church is now the Tourist Information centre.
Located on the Unter den Linden is the monumental statue of Frederick the Great (Friedrich des Grossen) also known as ‘Alte Fritz’. The statue is the work of the German sculptor Christian Daniel Rauch who founded the Berlin School of Sculpture.Construction of the statue began in 1839 and was completed in 1851. The statue was built to honor King Frederick II of Prussia who reigned as German Emperor from 1740-1786.
The bronze statue is 13.5m high with the King sat on his favourite horse Conde and features four life sized figures of cavalry commanders at each corner of the pedestal.
Dating to the time of the Carolingian Empire in the 9th century, the Church of St Donat (Church Sv.Donato) was constructed by the Dalmatian Bishop and Diplomat, Donatus of Zadar.
Built on the top of the old Roman Forum, the exterior of the church incorporates stone work from the old structure.
The interior floor of the church was removed exposing the original stone work, stone slabs and column fragments of the Roman Forum upon which it was built.
The circular Byzantine church features three apses and an ambulatory.
Connected with the remains of the medieval town wall and located at the corner of the Square of Five Wells, sits the Captain’s Tower (Kapetanova Kula) or Old Woman’s Tower (Bablja Kula). Dating from the 13th century, the pentagonal tower was built by the Venetians as part of its fortification system against Turkish attacks. The city was governed by by the city Duke and city Captain during the rule of the Venetians and Zadar was the only Dalmatian city where two people carried out these functions. To accommodate their administrators, the Venetians built palaces for them and the Captain’s Tower (above) is the only one of ten such towers still to exist.
Located to the east of the Old Town is the Port Gate (Lucka Vrata). Once the main entrance into the city, it was built in 1543 by the Venetian architect Michele Sanmicheli. Above the keystone of the arch is the monumental lion of St Mark, the coat of arms for the Venetian Republic. The keystone of the arch features a relief of St Grisogono on horseback, the coat of arms for the city of Zadar.
The Renaissance architecture of the Port Gate is the result of the fortification system in Zadar he was responsible for during the 16th century. From the beginning of the Venetian-Turkish war (1537-1540), Michele Sanmicheli was involved in the basic layout of a new Zadar fort, accommodation and Land Gate.
Facing west of Treviso is Porta Santi Quaranta – Forty Saints Gate. Dating to the early 16th century, the gate was built to strengthen defences against attack. Constructed of Istria stone, the gate features a central arch and two side entrances which with two other gates, controlled access to the city up until the 20th century.
The facade is dominated by four pilasters on plinths with decorated corinthian capitals.
The inside of the gate (above) with three cross vaults to the ceiling. The plaque above the door translates “Italian volunteer defenders of freedom of Treviso went from this port while the Austrian winners made the honours of war.”
Facing south on the old Terraglio road is Altinia Gate. The gate is named after the nearby city of Altino which was razed to the ground in 452 by Attila the Hun. This gate is the first of three gates which were built into the 14th century city walls and dates to the early 16th century. Constructed from left over resources from the fortifications of B.d’Alvano, the gate features an Istria stone renaissance arch and masonry tower. The gate was closed off in 1851 followed by partial restoration and rebuilding after World War II damage.
Located on Piazza della Vittoria (Victory Square) in the capital of Marca, is the Monumento Ai Caduti Di Tutte le Guerre- Monument to the Fallen of All Wars. The imposing monument is the work of the Italian sculptor and painter Arturo Stagliano and was created between 1926 and 1931.
The monument came under threat in 1941 due to the recovery of bronze for armaments as many Italian squares had seen the removal of such works. This architectural sculpture is over 15 metres high and features 16 bronze statues representing comrades in arms and grieving mothers who carry the fallen in the Temple of Glory, which is symbolised by the marble columns.