Wollaton Hall in Nottinghamshire was built as a country house for the landowner Sir Francis Willoughby who inherited the estate from his father, Sir Henry Willoughby, in 1564. The sumptuous residence was designed by the English architect Robert Smythson and built between 1580-1588.
The building is constructed of Ancaster limestone ashlar and details a classical order on each floor of the building. Classical Roman and Greek figures are set in circular niches in the projecting corners of the building.
The central hall (above) features a screen with passage and gallery above also designed by Robert Smythson. The screen has Doric columns, sculpted figures and stone entablature.
The ornate hammer-beam roof features shields and sculpted figures supporting the roof timbers. The oak panelled ceiling dates to 1830 when the English architect Sir Jeffry Wyatville altered part of the building for the 6th Lord Middleton.
Wollaton Hall was converted to a museum in 1925 and is Grade I Listed.
Located on Upper Parliament Street in Nottingham is the Theatre Royal. The Theatre was built in 1865 and was designed by the English architect Charles John Phipps. The stucco facade features a corinthian portico with dentillated cornice, engaged corinthian pilasters on plinths and is two storeys high. The building was restored in 1976 with the front facade remaining intact. The building is Grade II Listed.
Located on Upper St John Street is the railway bridge which leads trains to and from Lichfield City Station. Built in 1849 for the South Staffordshire Railway Company, the bridge was designed by either the local architect Thomas Johnson or Edward Adams who was the architect for the railway company.
Constructed of Ashlar and cast iron, the bridge features several relief armorial bearings. The shields feature the arms of the Bishop of Lichfield (above right) and the old Borough Seal.
The armorial bearings of four local families also feature on the bridge which are Anson,Dyott, Forster and Bagot.
The Leopards of England was originally situated in the centre of the parapet
The bridge was altered in 1882, 1969 and is Grade II listed
Located on High Street is the Baptist Church. Baptists established themselves in Henley in Arden as early as 1688 and meetings were held in houses until 1822 when the first chapel was built. The present church was built in 1867 and was funded by the Birmingham Industrialist, George Frederick Muntz.
Richly carved capitals support the arched entrance to the church
The church features stone hooded windows with corbels and leaded panes
Located on the corner of High Street and Station Road is the building which was the former Police Station. The brick two storey building features a projecting arched entrance and six pane sash windows. The building is now used as offices and is located within the Conservation Area.
The oldest Dalmatian Gothic church is the church of St Francis (Samostan sv. Franje Asiskog) also known as the Monastery of St Francis of Assisi. The monastery and church were built in 1221 and consecrated in 1282 by Bishop Lovro Periandar. It has a single nave with a raised shrine. Considered significant in the history of Croatia , the sacristy is the place where the Peace Treaty of Zadar was signed on 18th February 1358 between the Venetian Republic and the Hungarian-Croatian King Louis I Angevin. This act led to the Venetians abandoning their claim on Dalmatia.
Located just behind what remains of the Roman Forum sits the Church of St Elias (Crkva sv. Ilije), the only Orthodox church in Zadar. It is situated on a Roman Capitol near to the Pillar of Shame and built upon the site of the former medieval church of St Elias.
The church was originally used by Greek sailors and merchants and later served the Serbian community.
Redesigned in the Baroque style in the late 18th century, a church tower was added on the eastern side. All four stages of the tower were of a unique design featuring different shaped and sized window openings, carved figure heads on the third stage of the tower and engaged columns on the fourth stage.
After World War II, the resulting clearing of ruins led to the discovery of the remains of flagging, parts of the portico, basilica and tabernae near to the church.