Located on Upper St John Street is the railway bridge which leads trains to and from Lichfield City Station. Built in 1849 for the South Staffordshire Railway Company, the bridge was designed by either the local architect Thomas Johnson or Edward Adams who was the architect for the railway company.
Constructed of Ashlar and cast iron, the bridge features several relief armorial bearings. The shields feature the arms of the Bishop of Lichfield (above right) and the old Borough Seal.
The armorial bearings of four local families also feature on the bridge which are Anson,Dyott, Forster and Bagot.
The Leopards of England was originally situated in the centre of the parapet
The bridge was altered in 1882, 1969 and is Grade II listed