Number 17 Mustow Street is a timber framed two storey building which was built following the demolition of a row of timber framed buildings in the street in 1926.
Rebuilt entirely of re-used timbers, the building is jettied on two sides and features ornately detailed wooden panels between the studs.
The building is Grade II Listed due to conserving the high quality timbers.
High up on the walls in the Great Hall at Wollaton Hall are the display of ‘Brown Bess’ flintlock muskets. Henry, the 6th Lord Middleton, became the commanding officer of the Loyal Wollaton, Lenton and Beeston Volunteer Infantry in 1804. Ready to deal with the invasion by Napoleon Bonaparte’s army, Lord Middleton armed the volunteers with these muskets. The same muskets were used by Lord Middleton’s personal regiment in 1831 during the Reform Bill riots and aided by some miners from his coal mines, were successful in the attack.
The large country house estate of Kedleston Hall was the design of the English architects Matthew Brettingham, James Paine and Robert Adam. The buildings of the hall are constructed of red brick faced in ashlar and render with a rusticated basement, piano nobile and attic storeys. The main north front (above) features a Corinthian portico over a basement of five round arches. The central building has a lead dome and the buildings were constructed between 1758-1765.
The south elevation (above) features a projecting central bay with four corinthian columns and pedimented sash windows. The curved stairs lead up to a pedimented entrance doorway flanked by sculpted figures set in recessed niches.
The richly decorative Marble Hall has two rows of pink Nottinghamshire alabaster corinthian columns supporting the ornate frieze and coved ceiling. The floor is hoptonwood stone with inlay and was designed by Adam. Niches in the walls contain antique sculptures and detailed stucco decorates the coved ceiling.
The blue and gold drawing room provides an opulent setting with mythical mermaids adorning the luxurious sofas complimenting the blue damask walls.
The music room, library and drawing room are on the eastern side of the building.
On the western side, the rooms for entertaining and hospitality can be found including the dining room and state bedroom.
Lord Curzon held the position of Viceroy of India between 1899 and 1905 and many of the furnishings were collected during this time. Kedleston Hall is Grade I Listed.
Pears School in Repton was built in 1883-1886 by the architect Sir Arthur Blomfield. The building is in honour of Dr Steuart Adolphus Pears who was Headmaster from 1854-1874 and who became known as the school’s “Second Founder”.
The Tudor style sandstone and ashlar building features battlemented parapets, balustraded steps, three doorways and canted oriel window to the west facade (above). The building has an open Gothic arcade and polygonal castellated angle turrets with diagonal buttresses flanking each corner of the facade.
Commemorative lights along the balustrade in honour of a former Governor. Pears School is Grade II listed.
Located on Priory Road in Ulverston is the former country house, Conishead Priory. The building stands on the site of a 12th century Augustinian Priory which remained as a priory until 1537 when the building was dismantled. The estate came into the hands of the Braddyll family in 1683 who made Conishead their family seat for almost two centuries.
In 1818, Colonel Thomas Braddyll succeeded to the estate and commissioned the English architect Philip Wyatt to rebuild Conishead. The work was completed by the English architect George Webster with craftsmen from all over the world commissioned to carve the elaborate stonework.
Constructed of rendered brick, limestone and sandstone, the Gothic style building features many pointed arches on the exterior with traceried windows and panelled octagonal chimneys.
In 1976, the estate was sold and became the home of the Manjushri Kadampa Meditation Centre. The building is Grade II* Listed.
Sculpted figures support the decorative archways of the porch
Located in the churchyard of St George’s Church in Ticknall is a standing stone cross. Built in sandstone, the cross was moved from the village to the churchyard in the 18th century. The octagonal shaft stands upon circular steps and would most likely have been erected during the medieval period. Serving a variety of functions, the stone cross is surmounted by a square finial and has at some point been repaired with cement. The cross is Grade II Listed and a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Located in the entrance hall at Ickworth is the white marble sculpture named The Fury of Athamas. The monumental sculpture is the work of the Neo-Classical British sculptor John Flaxman and was commissioned in 1790 by the Earl Bishop.
Athamas was a Boeotian King in Greek mythology and the sculpture represents the scene from Ovid’s Metamorphoses when Athamas, driven mad by the gods, snatches his infant son Learchus from the arms of his mortal mother and throws him against the rocks.