Located on the centre of a bridge crossing the River Sile and the Cagnan sits a stone monument. The monument bears the inscription ‘Là dove Sile e Cagnan s’accompagna’ which translates as ‘Where the Sile and Cagnan’ and are words taken from Dante’s Paradiso. The bridge was dubbed the ‘Bridge of the Impossible’ given the difficulties encountered upon its construction.
In 1865 the bridge was named after the 13th century Italian poet Dante Degli Alighieri. The monument bears the inscriptions ‘Inferno, Paradiso and Purgatorio’ – ‘Hell, Paradise and Purgatory’ which are the three parts that divide Dante’s Divine Comedy.
Located along the historic Via Calmaggiore is a stone plaque dedicated to the memory of Antonio Mattei. Antonio was an Italian soldier and politician who died in 1883 aged 43 years. He was a volunteer member of the Sharpshooters in the Sardinian Army and fought in the War of Independence. He returned to his home town of Treviso in 1866 to join Garibaldi’s volunteers in Tyrol. In 1882, he entered the Chamber of Deputies for the College of Treviso and was elected by the National Congress of Som to the Steering Committee. The plaque bears testament to his life fighting for the freedom of Italian citizens.
On the outskirts of Treviso, along a quiet side street, is the former home of the Italian philosopher and educator, Luigi Stefanini. Luigi was born in this house in 1891 with a memorial plaque erected in 1996 to mark the 40th anniversary of his death.
The memorial plaque was in ‘grateful remembrance of the illustrious philosopher.’
Located on Avenue L Cadorna is the monument to the Gunners of Italy. Erected in 1968 to mark the 50th anniversary, the monument is dedicated to the Gunners who fought in the Battle of Solstice which took place between the 15th and 23d of June in 1918.
The stone monument is surrounded by artillery shells at each corner with four shells surmounting the plinth and inscription.
Located on Via di Cestello is the Church of San Frediano in Cestello. The church stands on the site of the former monastery Santa Maria degli Angeli which was founded in 1450. In 1628, the monastery was owned by Cistercense monks who commissioned the Italian architect and sculptor Gherardo Silvani to build a church.
Silvani had designed the church facade to face towards Borgo San Frediano and the Oltrarno and although the monks commissioned Antonio Cerruti to build the facade facing towards the Arno, this was never executed. Construction of the church began in 1680 and was finished in 1689 with the completion of the dome by the Italian architect Antonio Maria Ferri.
The church features a small bell tower and is constructed of coursed stone with brick arches. The cupola details alternating pedimented windows and engaged paired pilasters with a tiled roof.
Located on Piazza del Carmine is Chiesa di Santa Maria del Carmine – Church of Santa Maria Carmine. Founded in 1268, the church was dedicated to Our Lady of Carmel with construction delayed until the end of the 15th century. Little now remains of the medieval building due to 16th century alterations and a disastrous fire in 1771. The church is constructed of coursed stone and brick with traces of its history visible on the facade of the building.
The rebuilding of the church is in the Baroque style and was carried out by Giuseppe Ruggieri. The chapel decoration dates to 1675-1683 and is the work of the Italian painter and printmaker, Luca Giordano.
The church features many sculpted side altars, figures and reliefs with beautiful frescoes adorning the ceiling and chapel.