Located on Via di Cestello is the Church of San Frediano in Cestello. The church stands on the site of the former monastery Santa Maria degli Angeli which was founded in 1450. In 1628, the monastery was owned by Cistercense monks who commissioned the Italian architect and sculptor Gherardo Silvani to build a church.
Silvani had designed the church facade to face towards Borgo San Frediano and the Oltrarno and although the monks commissioned Antonio Cerruti to build the facade facing towards the Arno, this was never executed. Construction of the church began in 1680 and was finished in 1689 with the completion of the dome by the Italian architect Antonio Maria Ferri.
The church features a small bell tower and is constructed of coursed stone with brick arches. The cupola details alternating pedimented windows and engaged paired pilasters with a tiled roof.