Located in Piazza Santa Maria Maggiore is the Chiesa di Santa Maria Maggiore – Church of St Maria Maggiore. The Marian sanctuary was founded in 780 by the Duke Gervado and dedicated to the Madona Granda. The building has been a Benedictine Abbey and was destroyed during the barbarian invasions of the 9th century and rebuilt again during the 11th century.
The current church was built in 1475 by Lateran Canons in a late Gothic style. The rectangular plan church was rebuilt from rough brick and Istria stone with characteristic mixtilinear crowning adorned by red brick. The building features three naves and rose windows over each entrance on the main facade.
Part of the main facade and walls were rebuilt in the 20th century following the bombardment of 1945.