John Ruskin was a Victorian poet, critic, conservationist and writer publishing his first work aged just 15. Writing on numerous topics, the influence of Ruskin is still evident today. His passion to protect old buildings led to a series of published works on the architecture of Venice and he inspired William Morris to found the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings in 1877
Ruskin brought the country house Brantwood in 1871 where he lived until his death in 1900. His grave sits in the churchyard of St Andrews Church in Coniston and is marked with a large carved cross. The cross is made from green slate from the local quarry at Tilberthwaite and was designed by W.G. Collingwood who was secretary to Ruskin from 1881. The memorial cross is Grade II Listed.