Andrea di Cione, also called Orcagna, was a 14th century Italian architect, sculptor and painter. In 1350, Orcagna worked as a consultant at the Florence Duomo (Cathedral) and in 1358 he supervised the construction of the facade at Orvieto Cathedral. The statue of Orcagna is the work of the 19th century Italian sculptor Niccolò Bazzanti and stands within a niche along the facade of the Uffizi Gallery.
Seianti Hanunia Tlesnasa was an Etruscan noblewoman. Now housed in the British Museum in London, the sarcophagus containing the remains of Seianti was found at Poggio Cantarello near Chiusi in 1886. This well preserved piece of Etruscan art depicts a reclining lady holding a mirror and provides a valuable insight into 3rd/2nd century BC Etruria, women in Etruscan society, portraiture and funerary art.
The sarcophagus contained the well preserved remains of the women herself which led to the reconstruction of the head. One purpose of the reconstruction was to compare it with the likeness on the sarcophagus lid. Using soft tissue measurements to build up the face on a plaster cast of the skull, the Unit of Art in Medicine at Manchester University recreated the head of the noblewoman.
Although the ancient artist portrayed Seianti somewhat younger and more flattering, the implication of the reconstruction is that at least some of the representations on Etruscan sarcophagi and cinerary urns bear true resemblances to the dead.
Located on Honey Hill is the Old Shire Hall. The red brick building has a central projecting bay, sash windows and quoins. The adjoining building (above right) features engaged pilasters and plain window columns. The building was constructed in 1968 and designed by the architects McMorran and Whitby who the RIBA describe as “providing an alternative path for modern architecture which is progressive classicism full of invention and beauty.”
Suffolk County Council occupied the building from 1974 until it moved to the Public Service Village. The building is now the Magistrates Court.
Located on Guildhall Street is the 13th century Guildhall. Once considered to be the civic centre, the Guildhall became the focus of disputes between the town folk and the Abbey who ruled the town during the Middle Ages. The oldest part of the building is the stone entrance arch. Constructed of brick, stone and flint, the entrance is flanked by octagonal stone turrets.
The carved stone Borough of St Edmundsbury coat of arms above the doorway depicting a wolf below which are three crowns with arrows.
The upper storey of the entrance porch features alternate bands of red brick and knapped flint with chequered stone and flint on the castellated parapet. The Guildhall is Grade I listed and the porch is a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
The great gate of the Abbey of St Edmund was rebuilt between 1327 – 1353. Constructed of Barnack stone, the gate is richly decorated with a segmental entrance arch. The west facade (above) features many niches which once would have contained statues. The battlemented exterior is of two storeys and details six pointed stars in the circular stone niches.
The gate consists of two chambers with 17th century timber gates which separate them. The great gate is Grade I Listed and a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Pier Antonio Micheli was an Italian botanist. Regarded as the founder of scientific mycology, Micheli was one of the first people to specialise in the study of groups of plants and fungi. In 1716, Micheli and a group of his friends founded the Società botanica Fiorentina. The statue of Micheli is the work of the 19th century Italian sculptor Vincenzo Consani and stands in a niche along the facade of the Uffizi Gallery.
In an elevated position on Main Street in Stapenhill stands the Holy Rosary Roman Catholic Church. Formerly the United Methodist Free Chapel until 1971, the building became a Roman Catholic church in 1972.
Constructed of polychrome brick, the building features a large tracery window above a narthex at the west end of the nave.
The facade features pinnacled octagonal corner turrets with stone decoration.
Located on Lichfield Street is the war memorial sculpture which was unveiled in 1922 by Earl Dartmouth. The sculpture was designed by the British monumental and architectural sculptor, Henry Charles Fehr.
The sculpture features an angel which stands upon a stone pillar with a laurel wreath in one hand and a sword in the other. The two bronze sculpted figures beneath the angel are St George (above left) and a symbol of peace or victory (above right) holding a dove.
Located on Friars Walk in Burton Upon Trent is the site of the school which replaced the 16th century Grammar school. An inscription on the building dates the school from 1834 which at the time, consisted of one classroom, a dwelling and a stable. The gabled brick building is situated next to the graveyard of the church of St Modwen.
The building was enlarged and improved in 1959 during which the main entrance was moved further to the left of the premises. Further redevelopment took place in 2005 with the support of the Architectural Heritage Fund. The building is of red brick and ashlar dressings with 19th century stone mullioned window casements.
The inscription above what was the main entrance bears the date 1834. Friars Walk School is Grade II Listed.