St Andrew’s Church in Coniston replaced a former church dating to the 16th century. The present church was built in 1819 and constructed of slate with ashlar dressings and slate roof. The building features a west tower with embattled parapet, clock and paired stone-louvred bell openings.
The porches, vestry, organ loft and chancel were added in 1891. The chancel features a five light mullioned window with perpendicular tracery, stone quoins and coped gable.
The church features king and queen post trusses with decorative bracing and a west gallery with balustrade and cornice. The church is Grade II Listed.
Located in an elevated position on Bog Lane is the Holy Trinity Church. The church was built in 1836 by Giles Redmayne who owned the nearby Brathay Hall. Built in an Italianate style, the church features stone dressings and a south west bell tower.
The tower has three stages and buttresses with the third stage having two light round-headed louvred bell openings.
Beautiful stained glass depicting saints adorn the mullioned stone windows. Holy Trinity church is Grade II Listed.
During excavations to investigate the rotting medieval wooden foundations of Furness Abbey, an undisturbed grave of an abbot was discovered in the presbytery, generally reserved for the richest benefactors. The medieval grave contained the remains of an abbot belonging to the Cistercian order which was the most powerful monastic order in England. The grave, which may date to the 11th century, also contained a rare medieval silver-gilt crosier.
An abbot or bishop usually held a crosier (ecclesiastical ornament) with his left hand and was used at liturgical functions. The head of the crosier is is decorated with gilded silver medallions showing the Archangel Michael defeating a dragon.
On display in Furness Abbey Museum is the effigy of a lady wearing a long dress and a cloak which is tucked up under her right arm.
Wearing a veil and a wimple, her head rests on a pillow while her feet rest upon a dog – a sign of faithfulness. The effigy dates to the 14th century and may represent a member of the Lancaster family, Barons of Kendal, who had right of burial here from the 13th century.
On display in Furness Abbey Museum is a medieval stone tomb cover. The stone is likely to have come from the grave of a Lady Christina or Christiana, the second daughter of a nobleman. Many grave covers were discovered at the east end of the abbey church in the 19th century but were not in their original positions.
On display in Furness Abbey Museum are pieces of richly carved stone which once formed part of the abbey’s structure.
Capital with masons mark
Furness Abbey was constructed from locally available soft red sandstone and grey limestone. As a result of being disintegrated by wind and rain, much of the medieval carving has been lost.
Buildings were continually modified, updated or demolished due to changes in fashion and building technology. Fragments of stonework is often re-used which can sometimes be the only evidence of such changes.
On display in Furness Abbey museum are two effigies of knights which once covered the graves of benefactors in the abbey church.
Dating between 1225-1250, the effigies show a rare and early style where the knights face is completely covered by his helmet.
The sword pommel shows that the influence of Viking swords of the 9th and 10th centuries still lingered in the region.
The Kadampa Buddhist Temple on Coast Road in Ulverston was opened in 1997 and dedicated to world peace. The temple was designed by the internationally renowned teacher of Buddhism, Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso and was built by Kadampa Buddhists as an offering to future generations.
The temple has four entrances which symbolise the four ways to enter the path to liberation. Above each pedimented doorway is a male and female deer with a Dharma Wheel between them representing the final stages of the path to enlightenment.
The timber framed roof of the continuous portico which surrounds the temple is supported by Corinthian columns. Above the portico are the eight auspicious symbols which represent the various stages of progress along the spiritual path. Surmounting the top of the temple is a golden five pronged vajra symbolising the five omniscient wisdoms of a Buddha.