On display in the City Museum of Split is what is itemised as ‘Romanicka Transena’ – Romanesque Transenna. A transenna is a large slab of lattice work that formed part of a screen in an Orthodox church which enclosed a shrine. The example on display in the museum is undated with no location identification.
The ancient city of Baalbek in Lebanon contains temple architecture of both colossal scale and architectural artistry. Baalbek was known as Heliopolis during the Hellenistic period. The Imperial Roman empire of the late 1st – 3rd centuries established sanctuaries, built on top of earlier ruins, which attracted thousands of pilgrims.
The sanctuary of the Heliopolitan Jupiter was the principle temple at Baalbek from which the above sculpted stonework was excavated. The temple was richly decorated with exquisitely detailed stonework with construction beginning during the reign of Emperor Augustus in the late 1st century BC and completed soon after AD 60 under Nero. The stonework is on display in the Pergamon Museum in Berlin.
The ancient Greek city of Pergamon sits along the coastline of Turkey and once dominated the entire region. The buildings and monuments of Pergamon were constructed of white marble in the Hellenistic style. The Pergamon Altar was built during the 2nd century BCE and is associated with the temple that was dedicated to the Greek god Zeus.
The altar was excavated by the German archaeologist and architect Carl Humann during the 19th century. The altar was rebuilt stone by stone in Berlin with the Pergamon Museum opening in 1930 displaying the Pergamon Altar as its centrepiece.
The altar has a huge sculptural frieze which depicts the Gigantomachy which in Greek mythology was a battle between the gods and giants.
Ionic columns support the roof of the altar.
The parish Church of St George in Ticknall was built in 1842 and was designed by the English architect Henry Isaac Stevens. The building is constructed of coursed squared sandstone and ashlar and is in the Perpendicular Gothic architectural style. The church features a battlemented west tower with an octagonal stone spire.
The chancel features a double chamfered arch and 19th century furnishings.
The nave roof features spindly hammer beam type beams with pointed arches. The Church of St George is Grade II Listed.
Papalić Palača is located on Papaliceva Street, north of the Peristil, and is home to the City Museum. Built in the 15th century, the palace was designed by the sculptor and architect Juraj Dalmatinac.
The Gothic palace features the well preserved courtyard with loggia and carved staircase. Beautifully carved Ionic columns adorn the staircase balustrade and windows.
The interior reveals glimpses of arched stone openings of the former palace building.
The City Museum contains many artefacts from Split’s history including sculptures, statues, paintings and medieval weaponry.
Michelangelo Buonarroti was an Italian painter, sculptor, architect and poet. More commonly known as Michelangelo, he became apprentice to the painter Domenico Ghirlandaio in 1488 and between 1508-1512, he painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican. The sculpted figure of Michelangelo stands in a niche along the facade of the Uffizi Gallery and is the work of the 19th century sculptor Emilio Santarelli.
Located near to the present church of St George is the remains of Ticknall medieval church. The medieval church was originally built as a chapel dedicated to St Thomas Becket and was first mentioned in the early 13th century. Completely rebuilt in the 14th century followed by alterations in the 15th century, the chapel became the parish church by 1650. After falling into disrepair during the 19th century, permission was granted to build a larger church – the present church of St George which was built in 1842. The medieval church was blown up with gunpowder in 1841.
Some of the stone was reused in the building of the new church. There are surviving remains below ground with two fragments of the medieval structure above ground. The surviving walls are constructed of coursed, squared sandstone and ashlar with a surviving three light window with intersecting tracery.
The remains of the medieval tower and buttresses (above) with part of the west wall which retains the jamb and the first three voussoirs. The medieval church is Grade II Listed and a Scheduled Ancient Monument.