Treviso: Mura Della Città

Walls1

Following the Venetian Wars and rule by the Carraresi, the city of Treviso was fortified in the late 14th century. A line of walls and ramparts were built to protect the city which were in part rebuilt the following century to guard against attack from the League of Cambrai.

walls6

The 15th century saw the addition of two gates to the city and widening of the city walls under the direction of the Italian architect Fra Giovanni Giocondo.

Walls3

Construction of the fortifications ended in the early 16th century with the addition of a canal perimeter around the city.

Walls2

The brick walls are decorated with Istria stone reliefs of shields and the winged Lion of St Mark – the symbol of Venetian rule.

Walls5     Walls4

Treviso: Sarcofago Paleocristiano

Paleo

Located on Via Calmaggiore at the side of the Cathedral in Treviso is a tombstone called Sarcofago Paleocristiano – Early Christian Sarcophagus. The tomb was discovered in 1950 in the suburban area of Via Tomaso da Modena. Buried with a small set of gold jewellery, the tomb contains the remains of a little girl aged around seven years. The tombstone has a vaulted roof with a cross in relief on the side of the base.