Located on Jēkaba Iela (Jacob Street) is a pyramidal memorial which was unveiled in 2007 by the State President Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga. The monument is dedicated to those who lost their lives during the confrontations, known as The Barricades, between Latvian and Soviet Union forces in 1991. The inscription details wording from a Latvian folk song.
Located on Aspazijas Bulvāris next to the city canal is the Latvijas Nacionālā Opera – Latvian National Opera House. Built between 1860-1863, the building was the design of the Russian architect Ludwig Bohnstedt. Originally called the German Theatre of Riga, the building is known locally as the White House.
The Neo-Classical entrance facade is dominated by six Ionic columns which support the pedimented portico. Sculpted figures of the Greek god Apollo adorn the tympanum with two female figures separated by a lyre ornamenting the roof. The central part of the building features hanging arches around the exterior. In 1887, the first power station in Riga was established in the annex of the building.
Located in Rātslaukums (Town Hall Square) is Melngalvju Nams – The Blackheads House. First recorded in 1334, the house was built as a meeting place for festivities and for various public organizations. Rebuilt in 1522, the building during the 17th century became the home of the German merchants association known as the Blackheads Company.
The building, along with many others in the square, was demolished during World War II. Following archaeological excavations in 1992, reconstruction of the building began in 1995 on the site of the former house. Completed in 1999, the building now holds concerts, exhibitions and is home to a museum. An eclectic mix of architectural styles, the facade features Dutch Renaissance detailing, recessed brick gothic arches and is richly adorned with allegorical sculptures and armorial shields. The inscription engraved onto the walls of the building translates “Should I ever crumble to dust, rebuild my walls you must.”
Located on Riga Pils is Sapju Dievmates Katolu Baznica – Our Lady of Sorrows Church. Constructed in 1781-1785, the church was the first in Riga to be constructed from stone. The church was dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows as a symbol to the oppressed Catholic religion in Terra Mariana during the Reformation of medieval Livonia.
Between 1858-1860, part of the church was rebuilt to designs by the Latvian architect Johann Felsko who added a new sacristy and made alterations to the main facade. The building is decorated in blue and white and features corner piers, belfry and an octagonal spire.
Located on Skārņu Street outside Sv Petera Baznica (St Peter’s Church) is a monument presented to the city of Riga from Bremen. The political sculptures are the work of Bremen artist Krista Baumgaertel and are based on the fairy tale by the Brothers Grimm. The bronze sculptures were unveiled in 1990 and feature a donkey, a dog, a cat and a cockerel standing upon one another.
Maris-Rudolf Eduardovich Liepa was a Latvian ballet dancer who for more than 20 years performed with the internationally renowned Bolshoi classical ballet company based in Moscow. Located near to the Latvijas Nacionālā Opera (National Opera House) is a sculpture in dedication to the dancer who died in 1989. The monument was unveiled in 2013 and is the work of the Estonian artists Jaan Tomiks and Jiri Tomiks Ojavers.
To mark the 700th anniversary of Riga in 1901, the mayor of Riga George Armitsteds organized several garden parties in the city. Part of the celebrations included the construction of Kergalvja Lapene – Kergalvja Pavillion or Gazebo which was erected in Kronvalda Park. Designed and built by the Latvian master craftsman Krišjānis Ķergalvis, the Pavillion features a pedimented arched entrance on each side with engaged corinthian brick pilasters on plinths. The Pavillion is surmounted by an octagonal roof with leaded dome.
Ethelfleda, known as ‘The Lady of the Mercians’, was the daughter of Alfred the Great and sister of Edmund the Elder. Ethelfleda governed the Kingdom of Mercia from 913 – 918 AD leading attacks on the invading Danes. The statue of Ethelfleda was built for Tamworth’s Millenary Celebrations of 1913 marking the 1000th anniversary of when Ethelfleda freed Tamworth from the Danes and fortified the town.
The monument is the work of the sculptor Edward George Bramwell and was the design of the stonemason Henry Mitchell. The column and plinth are granite with the statue sculpted from ashlar stone. The capital of the column details relief Anglo-Saxon knot-work with the statue of Ethelfreda depicted in Anglo-Saxon dress holding an unsheathed sword in her right hand. The child depicted is Aethelstan, the nephew of Ethelfreda, who would later become king.
The pedestal consists of a circular base and bench supporting the inscribed octagonal base of a column decorated with a spiralling line. Unveiled by Earl and Countess Ferrers, the Ethelfleda monument is Grade II Listed.
Located within Tamworth Pleasure Grounds stands a cast iron anchor and chain. The anchor belonged to a captured Russian ship of the Crimean War and was rescued in 1855 by the English Royal Navy Officer Captain Sir William Peel. Originally taken to Drayton Manor as a souvenir, the anchor and chain were taken to Tamworth following the sale of Drayton Manor estate in the 1920’s.
Built in the 4th century BC, the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus (Bodrum, Turkey) was a tomb built for king Maussollos of Karia. Listed as one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, the building was adorned with marble sculptures. Featuring a stepped pyramid roof, a quadriga (four-horse chariot group) was positioned on the top which were approximately five metres in height.
The two largest surviving fragments of the quadriga are on display in the British Museum in London and detail the head of a horse with its original bronze bridle. The fragments were excavated by the 19th century British archaeologist Sir Charles Thomas Newton.