Also known as Vernon Street Prison, the New County Gaol served as the county Gaol from 1843 to 1919 when it was demolished. All that remains today is the impressive facade (above).
Designed by the English architect Francis Goodwin, the Gaol initially had 185 cells. Designed in a wheel layout, the central hub of the Gaol was formed by the chapel and governor’s house with seven cell wings. The huge gates and 25ft high walls were constructed from freestone ashlar with the central entrance flanked by two tuscan columns supporting the triglyph frieze above.
The Gaol has Martello towers and the surviving facade is Grade II Listed.