In the Market Place of Melbourne is the Market Cross by James Wright. Dating to 1889 with alterations in 1953, the cross was constructed from ashlar and timber. Restored in 1977, the large central stone pier has a wooden bench attached. Within a niche on the west side, there is an inscription which states “Erected in 1889” and on the north side, a brass plaque records that the monument was erected to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Jubilee. The timber shelter was erected in 1953 and the monument is Grade II listed.
Melbourne: Market Cross