Ethelfleda, known as ‘The Lady of the Mercians’, was the daughter of Alfred the Great and sister of Edmund the Elder. Ethelfleda governed the Kingdom of Mercia from 913 – 918 AD leading attacks on the invading Danes. The statue of Ethelfleda was built for Tamworth’s Millenary Celebrations of 1913 marking the 1000th anniversary of when Ethelfleda freed Tamworth from the Danes and fortified the town.
The monument is the work of the sculptor Edward George Bramwell and was the design of the stonemason Henry Mitchell. The column and plinth are granite with the statue sculpted from ashlar stone. The capital of the column details relief Anglo-Saxon knot-work with the statue of Ethelfreda depicted in Anglo-Saxon dress holding an unsheathed sword in her right hand. The child depicted is Aethelstan, the nephew of Ethelfreda, who would later become king.
The pedestal consists of a circular base and bench supporting the inscribed octagonal base of a column decorated with a spiralling line. Unveiled by Earl and Countess Ferrers, the Ethelfleda monument is Grade II Listed.
Located within Tamworth Pleasure Grounds stands a cast iron anchor and chain. The anchor belonged to a captured Russian ship of the Crimean War and was rescued in 1855 by the English Royal Navy Officer Captain Sir William Peel. Originally taken to Drayton Manor as a souvenir, the anchor and chain were taken to Tamworth following the sale of Drayton Manor estate in the 1920’s.
Built in the 4th century BC, the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus (Bodrum, Turkey) was a tomb built for king Maussollos of Karia. Listed as one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, the building was adorned with marble sculptures. Featuring a stepped pyramid roof, a quadriga (four-horse chariot group) was positioned on the top which were approximately five metres in height.
The two largest surviving fragments of the quadriga are on display in the British Museum in London and detail the head of a horse with its original bronze bridle. The fragments were excavated by the 19th century British archaeologist Sir Charles Thomas Newton.
Located within the grounds of Tamworth Pleasure Grounds are ashlar urns which date to the 18th century. The urns stand upon moulded stone plinths and are decorated with scrolled handles and top finials.
The urns are enriched with sculpted figure heads and flowers and are Grade II Listed.
Holloway Lodge dates to 1810 and was built as part of an extensive restoration programme at Tamworth Castle. The single storey gatehouse originally had battlemented crenellations which were raised when the Borough Council added another floor. Built in a Gothic Revival style, the gatehouse has a central carriage entrance and round angle turrets. Constructed of ashlar, Holloway Lodge is Grade II Listed.