Located between Pears School and Repton School Library is the tranquil cloister Garth. Private and secluded, The Garth has a war memorial to the Schools fallen during conflict.
The Garth is at the heart of the school and was originally the cloistered garden for the Augustinian Monks who practised at Repton Abbey.
Located at Schlossplatz 1 is the European School of Management & Technology. The former State Council building is the only surviving structure at Schlossplatz from the German Democratic Republic era. The present building is the result of a renovation started in 2004 under the direction of the German architect Hans-Gunter Merz who has worked extensively on reconstructions, repairs and renovations to listed buildings and museums.
The facade of the building features the portal (above) of the Berlin City Palace which was a royal palace built in the 15th century. The baroque portal features Doric, Ionic and Corinthian columns and huge caryatids on the first floor. The palace was demolished in 1950 after heavy damage sustained during World War II. The building is now a private international business school.
The oldest building located on the Unter den Linden is the Zeughaus Deutsches Historisches Museum (German Historical Museum). The Zeughaus was originally built as an arsenal for the Prussian military and construction started in 1695 and completed in 1730. The first design of the Zeughaus was by the German Baroque architect Johann Arnold Nering with later input from the German master builder and architect Martin Grunberg followed by the German Baroque sculptor and architect Andreas Schluter.
The allegorical figures on projecting bases at the main entrance by Guillaume Hulot
The Zeughaus was the largest weapons depot in Brandenburg-Prussia by the 18th century. The building has undergone several restorations during its history and now houses many temporary exhibitions.
Located on Werderscher Markt is the Auswärtiges Amt -Federal Foreign Office. Established in 1870 by the North German Confederation, the term Auswärtiges Amt is still used today by the German Foreign Ministry.
The glass and concrete building was built as an extension of the Reichsbank. The Reichsbank oversaw the procurement of gold during World War II and was tasked with financing the war. Severely damaged during the War, the building was then used as the Berlin city office. For the next 30 years, policies of the GDR were made in the Reichsbank. In 1990, the first freely elected People’s Chamber of the GDR held their offices here. The renovation and extension of the building was completed in 2000 by the architects Thomas Muller and Ivan Reimann.
Connecting St John Street and Frog Lane is a former carriage drive known as Castle Ditch. The grid street plan of Lichfield, which is still present today, was the design of the medieval Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield – Roger de Clinton. The Bishop expanded Lichfield and built a moat around the city. Following the building of the third Grammar School in 1849, Castle Ditch Carriage Drive was closed and a plaque now bears testimony to the history of the site.
Located on High Street is Stone House. Built in circa 1750, the building is now used as offices but was once an asylum, post office and telephone exchange. Georgian in its architectural style, the building features a symmetrical stone facade, dentilled cornice, tripartite sash windows and pediment.
The central consoled window (above) details architrave, frieze and cornice. Stone House is Grade II listed.
Located to the north of Sudbury Hall are two gate lodges. Dating to 1787, the lodges are believed to be the work of the English architect Thomas Gardner of Uttoxeter. Constructed of red brick with ashlar dressings, the lodges feature a central projecting pedimented bay with rusticated arched entrance. The almost identical pair of lodges are Grade II Listed.