Located in the Parish Church of Kirkby Stephen is a medieval stone coffin which was unearthed during excavations in 1950. The coffin still had an intact skeleton, thought to be that of a woman, and is only one of four similar coffins known of in Westmorland. The coffin is thought to date to the 12th century.
On display in an exhibition space in the Parish Church of Kirkby Stephen are fragmentary stone pieces. The above stone is a type of cross-head sometimes referred to as a plate head. Carved out of a large block of sandstone, the arms stand proud and are linked by a raised outer rim. The block has been squared off, truncating the two side arms and removing most of the linking ring. The date of the stone is uncertain but thought likely to be 11th century.
The above semi cylindrical shaft on display was found in 1847 built into the wall of the chancel. With well preserved patterns on all sides, it has delicately carved ornamentation. The patterns of plaited strands and spiral scrolls are a blend of Saxon and Viking styles and date to the 10th century.
The above stone fragment is part of a cross head with only two of four cross arms remaining. The arms are linked by a ring which gives the appearance of a wheel and is where its description of a wheel cross is derived. Crudely carved and badly damaged, the stone design was popular in the Viking age and it dates to between 900-1100.
Ickworth House is located within extensive tranquil parkland near Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk. The House was started in 1795 by the Irish architect Francis Sandys to the designs of the Italian architect Mario Asprucci. Completed in 1821, the House was built for the 4th Earl of Bristol to replace an earlier house which was demolished in 1710. Constructed of stuccoed brick, the building was designed to house the treasures collected on tours of Europe.
The House features a central rotunda with curved corridors (as above) to the south east and south west of the building.
The Pompeian Room (above) features exquisite wall paintings and decoration.
The staircase is flanked by paired scagliola Ionic columns and numerous family portraits adorning the walls.
The main state rooms were used only for occasional entertaining and remain in superb condition. Ickworth House is Grade I Listed.
The grounds of Ickworth have the country’s earliest remaining Italianate Garden which was installed at the beginning of the 19th century by the first Marquis. The layout echoes the floor plan of the House complete with corridors and rooms. The garden rooms include the Stumpery, a Spring Garden, Magnolia Garden and the Mediterranean Temple Garden.