Connecting St John Street and Frog Lane is a former carriage drive known as Castle Ditch. The grid street plan of Lichfield, which is still present today, was the design of the medieval Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield – Roger de Clinton. The Bishop expanded Lichfield and built a moat around the city. Following the building of the third Grammar School in 1849, Castle Ditch Carriage Drive was closed and a plaque now bears testimony to the history of the site.
Located on High Street is Stone House. Built in circa 1750, the building is now used as offices but was once an asylum, post office and telephone exchange. Georgian in its architectural style, the building features a symmetrical stone facade, dentilled cornice, tripartite sash windows and pediment.
The central consoled window (above) details architrave, frieze and cornice. Stone House is Grade II listed.
Located to the north of Sudbury Hall are two gate lodges. Dating to 1787, the lodges are believed to be the work of the English architect Thomas Gardner of Uttoxeter. Constructed of red brick with ashlar dressings, the lodges feature a central projecting pedimented bay with rusticated arched entrance. The almost identical pair of lodges are Grade II Listed.
Located in the Parc de la Villette in Paris is the biggest science museum in Europe. The Cite des Sciences was designed by the architect Adrien Fainsilber who won the National Prize of Architecture in 1986. A competition was launched in 1980 in which 27 architects entered their designs for A National Museum of Science.
Constructed on the site of a former abattoir which closed in 1974, the museum building was opened in 1986. The three themes of the design are water, vegetation and light. The museum features a facade with vegetation present inside the building.
The building incorporates the vast steel trusses of the former abattoir.