Located on Werderscher Markt is the Auswärtiges Amt -Federal Foreign Office. Established in 1870 by the North German Confederation, the term Auswärtiges Amt is still used today by the German Foreign Ministry.
The glass and concrete building was built as an extension of the Reichsbank. The Reichsbank oversaw the procurement of gold during World War II and was tasked with financing the war. Severely damaged during the War, the building was then used as the Berlin city office. For the next 30 years, policies of the GDR were made in the Reichsbank. In 1990, the first freely elected People’s Chamber of the GDR held their offices here. The renovation and extension of the building was completed in 2000 by the architects Thomas Muller and Ivan Reimann.