Located at Schlossplatz 1 is the European School of Management & Technology. The former State Council building is the only surviving structure at Schlossplatz from the German Democratic Republic era. The present building is the result of a renovation started in 2004 under the direction of the German architect Hans-Gunter Merz who has worked extensively on reconstructions, repairs and renovations to listed buildings and museums.
The facade of the building features the portal (above) of the Berlin City Palace which was a royal palace built in the 15th century. The baroque portal features Doric, Ionic and Corinthian columns and huge caryatids on the first floor. The palace was demolished in 1950 after heavy damage sustained during World War II. The building is now a private international business school.