On display in the museum at Tamworth Castle are examples of architectural terracotta which were produced by the company Gibbs and Manning. Established in 1847, the firm manufactured a whole range of works from ornamental garden pieces, sculptures and animals to grand architectural stoneware.
The above pottery plaque details a female head with a scrolled flower either side and dates to the early 20th century.
The above work depicts two intertwined lizards biting the tail of the other and dates to the early 20th century.
The above plaque depicts a graceful eel and also dates to the early 20th century. Gibbs and Canning ceased to trade in the late 1960’s.
Located on The Friary is Lichfield College and Library. Dating to circa 1295, the buildings were part of the Franciscan Friary which was first established in circa 1237. The brick and ashlar buildings feature gables, casement, sash and oriel windows and mullions.
The Friary buildings were purchased in 1538 by a leading Lichfield figure, Gregory Stonynge, after the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII. Retaining some of the Friary buildings, Stonynge converted them into a large house. The site was extended in 1921-28 by Colonel GC Lowbridge who was the county and Staffordshire Education Committee architect. Now home to the college and library, the buildings are Grade II listed.