Located on The Friary is Lichfield College and Library. Dating to circa 1295, the buildings were part of the Franciscan Friary which was first established in circa 1237. The brick and ashlar buildings feature gables, casement, sash and oriel windows and mullions.
The Friary buildings were purchased in 1538 by a leading Lichfield figure, Gregory Stonynge, after the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII. Retaining some of the Friary buildings, Stonynge converted them into a large house. The site was extended in 1921-28 by Colonel GC Lowbridge who was the county and Staffordshire Education Committee architect. Now home to the college and library, the buildings are Grade II listed.