On display in the visitor centre at Brougham Castle is the above altar which dates to the 3rd century AD. Constructed of white sandstone, the altar features a carved patera (a small frying pan) on the left hand side and a jug. On the right hand side there is a carved axe and a knife. The inscription reads “To the God Mars…Januarius…of the unit of Stratonician cavalry deservedly fulfilled his vow for himself and his family.” Stratonicaea was a town in Asia Minor and the Stratonician cavalry originated from this part of modern day Turkey. The altar dates to the time of the Roman fort and settlement Brocavum which was based at Brougham from circa 80AD until the 5th century AD. The presence of the altar indicates that the cavalry unit was stationed at the fort during the 3rd century.
On display in the visitor centre at Brougham Castle is a tombstone which was found in 1827 approximately 500 metres south of the castle. The sculpture depicts a boy in a cloak with only a small part of the inscription surviving and reads “Annamoris, his father, and Ressona, his mother, had this put up.” The date of the tombstone is not known.
The above sculpture is part of the Art of Remembering exhibition held at the Rheged Centre and is the work of the sculptor and printmaker Al Johnson. With an Interest in contemporary history, Johnson’s dramatic sculpture entitled Downed is covered in soft textiles with a symbolism of the aircraft – a bird of freedom being recreated as a machine of war.
The construction of the sculpture is based on original designs for the Sopwith Pup aircraft which was a British biplane in service with The Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service from 1916.
On display in the visitor centre at Brougham Castle is a sculpted stone corbel. The grotesque male faced corbel originally supported a roof beam in the keep and was carved in the 14th century.
Part of the Art of Remembering exhibition held at the Rheged Centre is the above work by the artist and printmaker Dawn Cole. Created in 2012, the work is entitled Tails, You Lose and consists of individually printed shillings made from heat transfer foil and paper. The work is symbolic of the floral wreath commonly laid at remembrance ceremonies and makes reference to the phrase ‘Take the King’s Shilling.’ This well documented phrase refers to enlistment to the armed forces which dates back to the end of the English Civil War.
On display in the visitor centre at Brougham Castle is the above stone panel which was set up in the castle by Lady Anne Clifford. The panel commemorates her 17th century reconstruction of the castle with an inscription from the verse of Isaiah which she chose to describe her work as a restorer. The verse reads “And they that shall be of thee shall build up the old waste places: thou shall raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shall be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.”