In the aisle to the north of the chancel in Kirkby Stephen Parish Church is the monument to Thomas, 1st Lord of Wharton. Born in 1501, Lord Wharton was created Baron in 1544 by King Henry VIII following his success during warfare with the Scots on the battlefield at Solway Moss. He founded Kirkby Stephen Grammar School in 1566 and died in the Yorkshire Dales in 1568.
The monument effigies depict Thomas with his first wife Eleanor Stapleton and his second wife Anne Talbot.
The carved alabaster tomb chest features a latin inscription that runs around the top of the tomb. Latin epitaphs celebrate the two marriages of Lord Wharton and his four children. The tomb itself is empty as Lord Wharton is buried at his estate in Yorkshire.