Located in Carlisle Cathedral is a monument to Bishop Harvey Goodwin. Born in 1818, Harvey was consecrated as the 58th Bishop of Carlisle in November 1869. A Cambridge academic, Harvey remained Bishop of Carlisle until his death in 1891. The monument consists of a bronze effigy of the Bishop with angels at the head and mitres at the feet. The monument is the work of the British Victorian sculptor Sir Hamo Thornycroft who studied at the Royal Academy. His work was influenced by his travels to Italy and France with an admiration of the Renaissance master sculptors. The sculpted bronze figure lies underneath an oak canopy decorated with a bronze inscription and coat of arms.