On display in the Castle Museum, as part of the 1914: When the World Changed Forever Exhibition, is a Vickers Machine Gun. The water-cooled .303 inch Vickers was formally adopted by the British Army in 1912 and was popular among troops for its reliability.
An air-cooled version became the standard weapon on British and French aircraft during WW1.
In the presbytery aisle in Carlisle Cathedral is a memorial plaque dedicated to William Fleming. Born in 1709, William was the only son of Sir George Fleming who was Bishop of Carlisle. William was Archdeacon of Carlisle and was married to Dorothy, daughter of the Westmorland Member of Parliament, Daniel Wilson of Dallam Tower. William died in 1742 aged just 33 years and the memorial was erected by his only child Catherine Ascough.
On display in Minstrels Gallery at Blackwell Arts & Crafts House is a chair designed by MH Baillie Scott. Dating to circa 1905, the chair is oak with pewter inlay and was manufactured by JP White. The chair is inlaid with harebells which was one of Scott’s favourite decorative motifs.
In the village of Bowes stands the remains of the medieval castle which was built upon the site of the Roman fort of Lavatris. The castle was built between 1171 and 1187 and was constructed to control access to Stainmore Pass. Bowes was the first of three Norman castles built to guard the then border between England and Scotland. Bowes Castle came into the ownership of King Henry II in 1171 and he immediately began strengthening its defences.
Remaining in Crown ownership until 1233, the castle was reported to be in a ruinous condition by 1325. By the 17th century, the castle was no longer in use and following the Civil War, part of the structure was dismantled with much of the stone re-used in other buildings. The unroofed keep is all that remains of the castle which has a moat on two sides. Constructed of sandstone ashlar and rubble, the keep was originally three storeys high.
Bowes Castle is a Scheduled Ancient Monument and Grade I Listed.
Along the first floor corridor of Blackwell Arts & Crafts House hangs a painting by the 20th century British artist Delmar Harmood Banner. The oil on canvas scene was painted in 1940 and forms part of the collection owned by Lakeland Arts Trust. Bowfell sits in the Southern Fells area of the English Lake District with Wetherlam part of Coniston Fells.
In the Great Hall at Tamworth Castle is an example of a continental suit of full plate armour. Dating to between 1630-1650, the suit is made up of various pieces of different armour – a common practice in the English Civil War (1642-49). Such suits were worn by the commanders of Charles I (Royalists) and Oliver Cromwell’s (Parliamentarian) armies. The elaborate engraving is a Victorian addition.
Fosa is a harbour located next to the east walls of the city in Zadar. The small picturesque port of Fosa is next to the Renaissance Land Gate (Kopneva Vrata) which was once the main entrance into the old town of Zadar.
Located in rural Lincolnshire is Ancaster Quarry. The oolitic limestone has been quarried in the area since Roman times.
The quarry produces three distinctive rock beds of Weatherbed, Hard White and Basebed and Freestone.
Extraction methods used at the quarry include a two metre chainsaw and plug and feathers which ensure more regular shaped blocks. The stone quarried at Ancaster features in buildings such as Lincoln Cathedral and Windsor Castle.
Located in front of the church of St Donat is a municipal square from the Roman era. In the second half of the first century BC, Zadar became a Roman colony. As such, Zadar was developed in the typical Roman tradition used in the design of military camps (castra).
The centre of public urban life was the Forum which in Zadar, was started by the first Roman Emperor Augustus. The open central square (lastricat) was the largest on the eastern Adriatic coast measuring 95x45m.
During the period of late antiquity, the foundations of Christian buildings were laid which later developed into an episcopal complex consisting of several buildings built from the 4th to the 19th centuries.
There was a temple dedicated to the Capitoline Triad, Jupiter, Juno and Minerva which were supreme deities worshipped by the Romans. The temple would have been located in the middle of the capitolium (worship area).
Surviving fragments of beautifully decorated capitals remain on display
On display as part of the Glasgow Style: Arts & Crafts from 1890-1930 Exhibition held at Blackwell Arts & Craft House, was the above brass and wood framed panel. Dating to circa 1900, the panel is the work of the English designer Talwin Morris. Born in 1865, Talwin was a revolutionary designer of the Arts & Crafts Movement. A prolific designer of book covers for the Glasgow based publishing house Blackie & Son, Talwin was part of the distinctive style of art which became known as the Glasgow Style. Influenced by European Art Nouveau and images of the Celtic Revival, Talwin helped to create the Glasgow Rose motif which features in the panel above.