York: Vickers Machine Gun


On display in the Castle Museum, as part of the 1914: When the World Changed Forever Exhibition, is a Vickers Machine Gun. The water-cooled .303 inch Vickers was formally adopted by the British Army in 1912 and was popular among troops for its reliability.


An air-cooled version became the standard weapon on British and French aircraft during WW1.


Carlisle Cathedral: William Fleming


In the presbytery aisle in Carlisle Cathedral is a memorial plaque dedicated to William Fleming. Born in 1709, William was the only son of Sir George Fleming who was Bishop of Carlisle. William was Archdeacon of Carlisle and was married to Dorothy, daughter of the Westmorland Member of Parliament, Daniel Wilson of Dallam Tower. William died in 1742 aged just 33 years and the memorial was erected by his only child Catherine Ascough.

Bowes Castle


In the village of Bowes stands the remains of the medieval castle which was built upon the site of the Roman fort of Lavatris. The castle was built between 1171 and 1187 and was constructed to control access to Stainmore Pass. Bowes was the first of three Norman castles built to guard the then border between England and Scotland. Bowes Castle came into the ownership of King Henry II in 1171 and he immediately began strengthening its defences.


Remaining in Crown ownership until 1233, the castle was reported to be in a ruinous condition by 1325. By the 17th century, the castle was no longer in use and following the Civil War, part of the structure was dismantled with much of the stone re-used in other buildings. The unroofed keep is all that remains of the castle which has a moat on two sides. Constructed of sandstone ashlar and rubble, the keep was originally three storeys high.


Bowes Castle is a Scheduled Ancient Monument and Grade I Listed.

Blackwell Arts & Crafts House: Bowfell from Wetherlam


Along the first floor corridor of Blackwell Arts & Crafts House hangs a painting by the 20th century British artist Delmar Harmood Banner. The oil on canvas scene was painted in 1940 and forms part of the collection owned by Lakeland Arts Trust. Bowfell sits in the Southern Fells area of the English Lake District with Wetherlam part of Coniston Fells.