On display at Abbot Hall Art Gallery is a portrait of Catherine Hall, Lady Rouse Boughton. In 1782, Catherine married Charles William Boughton who belonged to a well established aristocratic family. In 1768, William inherited the estates of his maternal cousin Thomas Philips-Rouse and commissioned the above portrait of his young wife. The oil on canvas painting dates to 1785-1787 and is the work of the 18th century English portrait painter George Romney. The painting depicts Lady Rouse Boughton in a long flowing white gown, a type of garment often used by Romney to portray the female form to its full advantage.
On display at Abbot Hall Art Gallery is a portrait of George Granville Leveson-Gower – the 1st Duke of Sutherland. George was the eldest son of the 1st Marquis of Stafford and was born in 1758. In 1785, he married the daughter of the Earl of Sutherland and he became notorious through the part he played in the Highland clearances in the early 19th century. He was created 1st Duke in 1833 for his services to politics and he died in July of the same year at Dunrobin Castle. The oil on canvas painting dates to circa 1800 and is the work of the 18th/19th century English portrait painter Thomas Lawrence. Principle painter to the King at the age of only 23, Lawrence became president of the Royal Academy in 1820.
Situated next to the entrance gates of Eggleston Hall is Low Lodge. Dating to circa 1827, the Lodge is constructed of coursed sandstone ashlar. The design of the one storey building is attributed to the 19th century English architect Ignatius Bonomi. Built in the Greek style, the three bay Lodge features sash windows and paired Doric columns on plinths which support the pedimented entablature. Low Lodge is Grade II Listed.
Within the grounds of Eggleston Hall are the ruins of the former Chapel of Ease. There had been a Chapel of Ease on the site since 1539. Dating to the 18th century, the small church is constructed of irregular coursed sandstone and ashlar.
The former chapel featured a three bay nave and three bay chancel each with round-headed central doorways.
The private chapel was closed in 1868 with the roof stripped and used on other estate buildings.
A surviving wall monument (below) features three cherubs heads carved in relief flanked by wide scroll brackets. The ruins of the chapel are Grade II Listed.