The above travelling chariot dates to around 1810-1820 and was built by Coates Blizzard of Park Lane, London. This chariot would have been drawn by a pair of matching Cleveland Bay horses and the platform above the front wheels would be used for overnight luggage. Ash was used for the majority of the structure of the chariot as it is extremely flexible and workable. The wheel stokes are made of sturdy oak and the panelling is mahogany. The wheels are designed slightly concave and are two degrees off straight for stability and strength. The steelwork would be made from a single bar which was heated to the required colour and then held in tongs by a blacksmith and hammered by two strikers until the desired result was achieved. The upholstery of such carriages was usually hand made and bespoke.
The above State Coach was built for the Duke of Cleveland by Rigby & Robinson of Park Lane, London. Dating to around 1810-1820, the Coach was last used for the coronation of Edward VII in 1902 by the 9th Lord Barnard. The Coach would be pulled by two Cleveland Bay Horses and driven by a Coachman who would sit on a blue ornate drape known as a Hammercloth. Two footmen would stand at the rear and this method of driving was known as Box Driving. The doors are fitted internally with yellow blank blinds which replace the glass when lowered and were mainly used to protect the interior from fading when in storage. The handholds in the rear were manufactured on a Jacquard Loom first demonstrated at the Paris Industrial Exhibition of 1801 where punched cards were used to control the warp and weft. This system was not used in England until 1810 although the fabric from this type of loom was imported prior to this date.