The above travelling chariot dates to around 1810-1820 and was built by Coates Blizzard of Park Lane, London. This chariot would have been drawn by a pair of matching Cleveland Bay horses and the platform above the front wheels would be used for overnight luggage. Ash was used for the majority of the structure of the chariot as it is extremely flexible and workable. The wheel stokes are made of sturdy oak and the panelling is mahogany. The wheels are designed slightly concave and are two degrees off straight for stability and strength. The steelwork would be made from a single bar which was heated to the required colour and then held in tongs by a blacksmith and hammered by two strikers until the desired result was achieved. The upholstery of such carriages was usually hand made and bespoke.