Located along the B6259 in the parish of Mallerstang is the Church of St Mary. The Chapel of Ease was founded in the 14th century and was extensively rebuilt in 1663 for Lady Anne Clifford. The single storey building is constructed of coursed squared rubble with a graduated slate roof.
The inscription over the south porch (above) details the work of Lady Anne Clifford and is recorded in Roman capitals of typical 17th century character. The inscription reads: “This chapple of Mallerstang after itt had layne ruinous and decayed some 50 or 60 years was newe repayred by the Lady Anne Clifford Countesse Dowager of Pembroke. Dorsett & Montgomery. In the year 1663 who allsoe endowed the same with lands which she purchased in Cawtley near Sedbergh to the yearly value of eleaven pounds for ever. Isiah Chap 58. vs 12. Gods name be praised.”
The east window (above) was inserted in 1926 and depicts the Virgin Mary and Child surrounded by northern saints, including the Monk of Whitby, Caedmon. The church features a panelled polygonal pulpit which dates to 1798.
The north windows and south doorway date to the rebuilding by Lady Anne Clifford in the 17th century while the south windows date to 1768 when the church was later restored.
The Church of St Mary is Grade II Listed.