Sited near to the southern approach to the castle, the impressive Great Barn stands amid several other estate buildings. Constructed of limestone rubble, the Barn is reputed to have been built by Walter Strickland in the 1560’s. This early example of a two-storey Lake District bank barn features stone chimney stacks, flattened arched heads to either side of the projecting central block with recessed arch which is surmounted by a lead cupola. A bank barn houses animals at ground level and hay and grain are stored on an upper level which is accessible from a ramp or a bank. In 1569 ‘the new barne’ contained wheat, barley and oats together with a large number of agricultural implements. The Barn measures over 100ft in length and has two ramps and two sets of double doors to the upper level. The Great Barn is now converted to houses and is Grade II* Listed.
Sizergh Castle: The Great Barn