Paris: Cite des Sciences

CitSci4

Located in the Parc de la Villette in Paris is the biggest science museum in Europe. The Cite des Sciences was designed by the architect Adrien Fainsilber who won the National Prize of Architecture in 1986. A competition was launched in 1980 in which 27 architects entered their designs for A National Museum of Science.

CitSci3         CitSci2

Constructed on the site of a former abattoir which closed in 1974, the museum building was opened in 1986. The three themes of the design are water, vegetation and light. The museum features a  facade with vegetation present inside the building.

CitSci1

The building incorporates the vast steel trusses of the former abattoir.

Advertisements

Paris: Academie Nationale de Musique

AcadMus

The Academie de Musique in Paris is also known as the Palais Garnier and is an opera house. In 1860, Napoleon III and Baron Georges-Eugene initiated a competition for architects to design a structure to be used as a new state funded opera house. The French architect Jean Louis Charles Garnier was awarded the project and construction started in 1861.

AcadMus1

Construction was completed at the end of 1874 and finally opened in January 1875. Garnier had travelled to Rome, Greece and Turkey and the influence of his studies is evident in the huge paired corinthian columns, symmetry and the opulent exterior ornamentation.

AcadMus2

Built on a framework of metal girders, the facade features highly decorated statues depicting Greek mythology and two 7.5m high gilt copper figures. The French sculptor Charles Gumery, who worked in a realist manner, designed the gilded figural groups. The huge building is considered Beaux-Arts in its architectural style.

Paris: Pont Alexandre III

PontAlex4

Forming the link between Esplanade des Invalides, Avenue Winston and Champs-Elysees is the Pont Alexandre III which spans the river Seine. Constructed in 1896-1900, the bridge is a single leaf arch built by engineers Jean Resal and Amedee Alby.

PontAlex3

The bridge is named after the Russian Tsar responsible for the Franco-Russian Alliance in 1892, Alexander III.

PontAlex1

The bridge is rich with fine sculpture work and Art-Nouveau decorations. The bridge features four 17m high pillars with gilded statues and each stands for a specific period in the history of France. The lions along the bridge were the work of French sculptor Georges Gardet and some of his work is preserved in museums all over the world. The Pont Alexandre III is listed as a historical monument.

PontAlex2