The ancient capital city of the Lycian Federation was Xanthos, now in modern day Turkey. The Nereid Monument was built for the Lycian ruler Erbinna with its name deriving from the sea nymph (Nereids) statues placed between the columns of the tomb. The reconstructed small Ionic temple dates to circa 400BC with the facade on display in the British Museum in London. A mixture of Greek and Lycian style and iconography, the monument features relief sculptures and friezes with a decorated architrave and pediment.
Uruk was the largest settlement in southern Mesopotamia dating back to circa 3200BC. The ancient city was ruled by the Kassite King of Babylonia Kara-Indash towards the end of the 15th century BC. The Kassites rebuilt many sacred sites in the cities of Uruk, Eridu and Ur. Dating to circa 1413BC, King Kara-Indash built a new temple dedicated to the goddess Inanna. Inanna meaning Great Lady of An – An being the God of heaven. Part of the temple facade is on display in the Pergamon Museum in Berlin. The facade features male and female deities holding vases set in niches and is constructed of baked mud brick.
The ancient city of Baalbek in Lebanon contains temple architecture of both colossal scale and architectural artistry. Baalbek was known as Heliopolis during the Hellenistic period. The Imperial Roman empire of the late 1st – 3rd centuries established sanctuaries, built on top of earlier ruins, which attracted thousands of pilgrims.
The sanctuary of the Heliopolitan Jupiter was the principle temple at Baalbek from which the above sculpted stonework was excavated. The temple was richly decorated with exquisitely detailed stonework with construction beginning during the reign of Emperor Augustus in the late 1st century BC and completed soon after AD 60 under Nero. The stonework is on display in the Pergamon Museum in Berlin.
The Kadampa Buddhist Temple on Coast Road in Ulverston was opened in 1997 and dedicated to world peace. The temple was designed by the internationally renowned teacher of Buddhism, Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso and was built by Kadampa Buddhists as an offering to future generations.
The temple has four entrances which symbolise the four ways to enter the path to liberation. Above each pedimented doorway is a male and female deer with a Dharma Wheel between them representing the final stages of the path to enlightenment.
The timber framed roof of the continuous portico which surrounds the temple is supported by Corinthian columns. Above the portico are the eight auspicious symbols which represent the various stages of progress along the spiritual path. Surmounting the top of the temple is a golden five pronged vajra symbolising the five omniscient wisdoms of a Buddha.
Integrated boat houses overlook the river and provide idyllic views across the estate.
The urn on a pedestal (background) is the Monument to Michael Drayton dating to circa 1760 and is Grade II* listed. The lion statue (foreground) is the work of Joseph Wilton which dates to circa 1760 and is also Grade II* listed.
Dating to circa 1775, the Hexagon Temple is thought to be the work of George Richardson and is Grade II* listed
Dating to 1770, the bridge was the design of Robert Adam. Grade I listed, water descends beneath the three arches into the middle lake of the grounds.