Standing in the Market Place in the village of Dent is an impressive Shap granite monument. The memorial fountain commemorates the life and work of Adam Sedgwick who was one of the founders of modern geology. A distinguished mathematician, clergyman and geologist, Sedgwick was born in the village in 1785. After his education at Dent School and Sedbergh Grammar school, Sedgwick went on to Trinity College, Cambridge, where he graduated with a first class honours in mathematics in 1808. He was appointed a fellow of Trinity College in 1810 and was ordained in 1817, going on to become a canon in Norwich cathedral. Sedgwick was appointed Woodwardian Professor of Geology at Cambridge in 1819 and in 1823, he made a detailed study of rocks in the Lake District. In 1829 Sedgwick became President of the Geological Society of London. Charles Darwin studied geology under Sedgwick at Cambridge before departing on the ‘Beagle’ in 1831 as project naturalist. The memorial was erected by the people of Dent in the late 19th century and is inscribed with Sedgwick’s name in Gothick lettering.
The Sedgwick Memorial Fountain is Grade II Listed.
Located in the tranquil Piazza Della Dogana in the historic area of S.Leonardo and the S.Paul district stands a water fountain. Restoration has transformed the area with the addition of new piazza’s (squares) and buildings. The water fountain stands upon an octagonal stone base from which small animal heads pour water. The top of the fountain is adorned with sculpted leaves.
Located in Piazza San Vito is a water fountain which was built in 1930 following the urban regeneration of the area, The water fountain is constructed of Verona marble which sits upon a circular stone base.
A column stands in the centre of the octagonal basin from which four hydras pour water and support the fluted column above.
Located near to the docking port in Bowness is a monument to Sir William Bower Forwood D. L. Sir Forwood was a 19th century English politician, merchant and ship owner. A wealthy businessman, he helped to raise funds for the building of Liverpool Cathedral and Liverpool Overhead Railway, the city of his birth.
Sir Forwood became a Freeman of the City of Liverpool in June 1902. The water fountain was a gift from Sir Forwood to Bowness.
Located at the western end of the Placa and in the middle of a small square close to Pile Gate is the Big Onofrio’s Fountain. It was built in 1438 by the Neapolitan builder Onofrio della Cava who was hired by the Republic to construct the urban aqueduct. Unlike the majority of other Dalmatian cities under Venetian authority who solved the problem of water supply by building large cisterns for rain water, Dubrovnik decided to bring water from a well. Onofrio tapped from the well named Sumet at Rijeka Dubrovacka, 12 kilometres from the city. He built two branches at Konali above the city itself and also built a number of mills
By building the Little Onofrio Fountain and the Big Onofrio Fountain, water was supplied to the city in two public places. The fountain was heavily damaged by the earthquake of 1667 and as a result, the sculptural ornaments which once adorned the Fountain, have been lost.
The original 16 masks in relief are still extant and water jets gush out of their mouths.
Close to the Gate House is the Little Onofrio’s Fountain. After the aqueduct was completed, its builder Onofrio della Cava set two public fountains at the western and eastern ends of the Placa. The small fountain was placed at the eastern end to supply water to the market place which was in Luza Square. Built in 1438, it is a combination of function and decoration. The sculptures were made by Pietro di Martino of Milan. This fountain was used only by Christians during the Middle Ages as water had a religious significance.