Exton: 4th Earl of Gainsborough

Nollekens2

Located on the south wall of the chancel in the Church of St Peter & St Paul is a wall monument to the 4th Earl of Gainsborough and his wife, Countess Elizabeth Gainsborough. Erected in 1790, the monument is the work of the 18th century British born sculptor Joseph Nollekens.

Nollekens1

Reclining upon a sarcophagus, the Countess is represented with her right arm pointing to medallions busts of herself and her two husbands. A weeping cherub sits beneath the medallions with an extinguished torch.