Located on the wall in the Lady Chapel of St Lawrence Church is a stone monument in memory of a 17th century vicar, Gabriel Smalwood. Diocesan records indicate that Gabriel had been curate at Wetheral before becoming vicar of St Lawrence Church in October 1681. The memorial states that Gabriel was 48 years old with the date of death recorded as the 7th March 1698. Under the old style Julian calendar, the year commenced in March (Martius) and ages were calculated according to the year of life and not completed years. The Gregorian calendar therefore indicates that Gabriel was aged 47 and he died in 1699. The translation of the inscription is as follows:
“Here Gabriel Smalwood M.A. has laid down his mortal remains and the outer covering of his flesh. He was vicar of this church, much missed, who daily bestowed his goods on the poor, and at the last gave back the only things he had left to give, his soul to God and his body to the earth, on the 7th of March, A.D. 1698, at the age of 48.”
In St Lawrence Church in Appleby is the marble tombstone dedicated to Margaret Russell, Countess of Cumberland. Margaret was the youngest daughter of the 2nd Earl of Bedford and she was born in Exeter in 1560.
Margaret married the 3rd Earl of Cumberland in 1577 with whom she had a daughter – Anne Clifford. The Countess died at Brougham Castle in 1616. Lady Anne Clifford was responsible for the restoration of St Lawrence Church during the 17th century and she had the memorial raised in dedication to her mother. Formerly standing near the altar in the sanctuary, the monument now stands in the north chapel.
The memorial features an alabaster figure lying above a marble base detailing heraldry relating to the Clifford family with two skulls supporting the Ionic capitals on either side of the inscription.
Located on the wall of the north aisle in the Parish Church of St Lawrence is a memorial to Richard S Stephenson. Richard was the only son of Mason Stephenson who was the Mayor of the borough and a coroner of the county. Richard was a student at Queen’s College in Oxford and he died in Appleby in 1860.