Located in Piazza Borsa stands the sculpted figure of Mario Del Monaco. Born in Florence in 1915, Monaco was a successful opera singer. Inaugurated in 2011, the bronze statue is the work of the artist and sculptor Elena Nettle.
Located on Lichfield Street is the war memorial sculpture which was unveiled in 1922 by Earl Dartmouth. The sculpture was designed by the British monumental and architectural sculptor, Henry Charles Fehr.
The sculpture features an angel which stands upon a stone pillar with a laurel wreath in one hand and a sword in the other. The two bronze sculpted figures beneath the angel are St George (above left) and a symbol of peace or victory (above right) holding a dove.
The sculpture of Perseus holding the head of Medusa is the first statue to be placed under the Loggia Dei Lanzi in 1554.
The sculpture is the work of the Italian sculptor Benvenuto Cellini and depicts one of the first Greek Heroes in Greek mythology – Perseus. The sculpture shows Perseus holding the head of Medusa who was a gorgon monster. The sculpture was commissioned by the 16th century Duke of Florence, Cosimo I de Medici, and represents the eternal split with republican institutions.
The four bronze statuettes that decorate the marble pedestal are Danae, Jupiter, Mercurius and Minerva. Danae was the mother of Perseus in Greek mythology, Jupiter was the King of Gods, Mercurius (or Mercury) was a Roman God and Minerva was the Roman Goddess of Wisdom.
Located in the gardens opposite Latvijas Nacionālā Opera is the bronze statue of George Armitstead with his wife Cecilia Pychlau and their pet dog. Mayor of Riga from 1901-1912, Armitstead is heralded as one of the greatest leaders Riga has ever known.
The bronze sculptures are the result of donations made by local businessman Yevgeny Gomberg and were unveiled by Queen Elizabeth II in 2006.
Located in Kronvalda Park in Riga is the flamboyant statue of the 18th century Russian author and poet, Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin.
The bronze sculpture was presented from Moscow in 2009 and is the work of Alexander Tatarinov. Although Pushkin never visited, many of his letters and poems are dedicated to Anna Kern who lived in Riga.
Located on Piazza della Vittoria (Victory Square) in the capital of Marca, is the Monumento Ai Caduti Di Tutte le Guerre- Monument to the Fallen of All Wars. The imposing monument is the work of the Italian sculptor and painter Arturo Stagliano and was created between 1926 and 1931.
The monument came under threat in 1941 due to the recovery of bronze for armaments as many Italian squares had seen the removal of such works. This architectural sculpture is over 15 metres high and features 16 bronze statues representing comrades in arms and grieving mothers who carry the fallen in the Temple of Glory, which is symbolised by the marble columns.