In the presbytery aisle in Carlisle Cathedral is a memorial plaque dedicated to William Fleming. Born in 1709, William was the only son of Sir George Fleming who was Bishop of Carlisle. William was Archdeacon of Carlisle and was married to Dorothy, daughter of the Westmorland Member of Parliament, Daniel Wilson of Dallam Tower. William died in 1742 aged just 33 years and the memorial was erected by his only child Catherine Ascough.
Located in the north nave aisle in Carlisle Cathedral is a monument to Francis Close. Born in 1797 in Corston Somerset, Francis was the youngest son of a noted agriculturalist – Henry Jackson Close. Francis graduated from St John’s College Cambridge in 1820 and became the first licensed curate of Holy Trinity Church in Cheltenham in 1824. He remained Perpetual Curate of Cheltenham until 1856 and during his ministry in the Gloucestershire parish, Francis erected a cemetery chapel and four district churches. Following a near fatal accident in Geneva in 1855, Francis reduced his workload, sermons and attended few public meetings. In December 1856, Francis became Dean of Carlisle Cathedral – a post which he held until 1881.
The marble effigy depicts the Dean clutching a bible over his chest with his head supported by pillows. The monument sits within a carved Gothic canopy and is the work of the 19th century English sculptor Henry Hugh Armstead.
Located in Carlisle Cathedral is a monument to Bishop Harvey Goodwin. Born in 1818, Harvey was consecrated as the 58th Bishop of Carlisle in November 1869. A Cambridge academic, Harvey remained Bishop of Carlisle until his death in 1891. The monument consists of a bronze effigy of the Bishop with angels at the head and mitres at the feet. The monument is the work of the British Victorian sculptor Sir Hamo Thornycroft who studied at the Royal Academy. His work was influenced by his travels to Italy and France with an admiration of the Renaissance master sculptors. The sculpted bronze figure lies underneath an oak canopy decorated with a bronze inscription and coat of arms.
Located in the presbytery aisle in Carlisle Cathedral is the monument to Samuel Waldegrave. Born in 1817, Samuel became Bishop of Carlisle in 1860 – a post which he held until his death in 1869. The monument was raised from public subscription in 1872 and details the sculpted figure of the bishop wearing a robe and holding a bible in his left hand.
On display in the south aisle of the choir in Carlisle Cathedral is a replica of a 12th century sword. Similar in size, weight and design, the single handed cruciform sword was commonly used during the Middle Ages. Such arming swords were the standard military sword of the knight and descend from the swords from the Migration Period and the Vikings.
The sword is said to replicate one of the swords used to murder the 12th century Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Becket. The original sword is thought to have belonged to the Anglo Norman knight Sir Hugh de Morville, Lord of Westmorland, who was one of the murderers of Becket.
On display in Carlisle Cathedral Treasury are three medieval ceiling bosses. Dating to c1400, the richly coloured bosses were part of the medieval ceiling.
The bosses are decorated with intricately detailed foliage, faces and heraldic shields and would have been used as ornamentation to conceal the joins found in a vaulted ceiling.