Located at Schlossplatz 1 is the European School of Management & Technology. The former State Council building is the only surviving structure at Schlossplatz from the German Democratic Republic era. The present building is the result of a renovation started in 2004 under the direction of the German architect Hans-Gunter Merz who has worked extensively on reconstructions, repairs and renovations to listed buildings and museums.
The facade of the building features the portal (above) of the Berlin City Palace which was a royal palace built in the 15th century. The baroque portal features Doric, Ionic and Corinthian columns and huge caryatids on the first floor. The palace was demolished in 1950 after heavy damage sustained during World War II. The building is now a private international business school.
The oldest building located on the Unter den Linden is the Zeughaus Deutsches Historisches Museum (German Historical Museum). The Zeughaus was originally built as an arsenal for the Prussian military and construction started in 1695 and completed in 1730. The first design of the Zeughaus was by the German Baroque architect Johann Arnold Nering with later input from the German master builder and architect Martin Grunberg followed by the German Baroque sculptor and architect Andreas Schluter.
The allegorical figures on projecting bases at the main entrance by Guillaume Hulot
The Zeughaus was the largest weapons depot in Brandenburg-Prussia by the 18th century. The building has undergone several restorations during its history and now houses many temporary exhibitions.
Located on Werderscher Markt is the Auswärtiges Amt -Federal Foreign Office. Established in 1870 by the North German Confederation, the term Auswärtiges Amt is still used today by the German Foreign Ministry.
The glass and concrete building was built as an extension of the Reichsbank. The Reichsbank oversaw the procurement of gold during World War II and was tasked with financing the war. Severely damaged during the War, the building was then used as the Berlin city office. For the next 30 years, policies of the GDR were made in the Reichsbank. In 1990, the first freely elected People’s Chamber of the GDR held their offices here. The renovation and extension of the building was completed in 2000 by the architects Thomas Muller and Ivan Reimann.
Located on Museum Island is the Berliner Dom – Berlin Cathedral Church. The largest church in Berlin, the Dom we see today was completed in 1905 and was designed by the German architect Julius Karl Raschdorff.
The building features four corner towers and is both Baroque and Renaissance in its architectural style. Huge corinthian pilasters dominate the entrance facade (above left) and sculpted cherubs adorn the roof (above right).
The monumental pipe organ was built by the Prussian Wilhelm Carl Friedrich Sauer.
The Hozenzollern Crypt has tombs dating back to the 16th century. The crypt is the final resting place for several Kings of Prussia with over ninety sarcophagi and tombs of members of the house of Hohenzollern.
Qaṣr al-Mshattā was a Umayyad Palace built in the Jordan desert in circa 8th century AD. The Mshatta façade is richly decorated with reliefs and was part of an enclosing wall of the palace. The facade walls stand upon limestone masonry and are built of fired brick. The wall is divided by a zigzag moulding into triangles with a central rosette in each triangle. The Mshatta south façade was a gift from the Ottoman Sultan Abdulhamid to Kaiser Wilhelm I and is on display in the Pergamon Museum in Berlin.
Uruk was the largest settlement in southern Mesopotamia dating back to circa 3200BC. The ancient city was ruled by the Kassite King of Babylonia Kara-Indash towards the end of the 15th century BC. The Kassites rebuilt many sacred sites in the cities of Uruk, Eridu and Ur. Dating to circa 1413BC, King Kara-Indash built a new temple dedicated to the goddess Inanna. Inanna meaning Great Lady of An – An being the God of heaven. Part of the temple facade is on display in the Pergamon Museum in Berlin. The facade features male and female deities holding vases set in niches and is constructed of baked mud brick.
The ancient city of Uruk is located in modern day southern Iraq. Excavations of the temple complex of Inanna in the early 20th century led to the discovery of a carved alabaster stone vessel. The Warka Vase (Uruk Vase) depicts relief sculptures of worshippers taking provisions to the temple and dates to circa 3000BC. A copy of the Warka Vase is on display in the Pergamon Museum in Berlin.
Hattusa is a huge complex site just on the outskirts of the modern village of Boğazkale in Turkey. Hattusa was the capital of the Hittite Empire occupied by the Hatti from circa 2500BC onwards. The Hattusa Sphinx on display in the Pergamon Museum belonged to a pair of sphinxes from the Sphinx Gate of the Yerkapi rampart at Hattusa which date to circa 1400BC.
The Code of Hammurabi was discovered during excavations of Susa in 1902. Susa was an ancient city of the Elamite, Persian and Parthian empires located in modern day Iran. Known as the King of Justice, the ancient Babylonian King Hammurabi had a kingdom on the banks of the Euphrates and Tigris and ruled between 1792-1750BC. The Code of Hammurabi was a collection of legal documents with law and order as a divine mandate. A copy of the stele (upright stone slab or pillar bearing an inscription) is on display in the Pergamon Museum in Berlin.
Miletus was an ancient Greek City near the west coast of modern day Turkey. The theatre of Miletus was originally built in the 4th century BC but was enlarged under the Roman Emperor Trajan during the 2nd century AD. On display in the Pergamon Museum in Berlin is a relief which depicts the Greco-Roman god Apollo standing between two torch bearers. The marble relief, which was originally on the rear facade of the theatre, is similar to that of the 6th century BC archaic cult statue by Kanochos of Sikyon.