Overlooking Eamont Bridge stands a 50 tonne block of granite. Transported from Shap Quarry, the block was erected on 2nd July 2000 by the Bishop of Penrith marking the end of the Eden Millennium Festival.
The monument has carved symbols on three sides – Alpha, the first letter of the Greek alphabet (above), Omega, the last letter of the Greek alphabet (below) and a Cross (top). The Alpha and the Omega represent the beginning and the end, the past and the future. The Cross and the 2000 inscription represent the present and 2000 years of Christianity.
The stone was selected at Shap Quarry by Eden Arts and was transported and erected by Cumbrian Industrials Ltd. The symbols were carved by the Cardozo Kindersley Workshop of Cambridge.
Aulus Vitellius was a Roman Emperor who reigned for eight months in 69AD. Vitellius is described by the writer Seutonius as “unusually tall with an alcoholic flush. A huge paunch and a somewhat crippled thigh from being run into by a four-horse chariot.” The bust of Vitellius is on display in Abbot Hall Art Gallery and is believed to be the work of the Victorian architectural sculptor Thomas Duckett. The principle sculptor at local building firm Websters of Kendal, Duckett created a number of works from his studio in Preston. The bust is sculpted from marble and granite depicting the Emperor wearing a military robe and dates to c1850.
In the historic centre of Riga on Brīvības Bulvāris is the Brīvības Piemineklis – Freedom Monument. The colossal monument is symbolic of Latvia’s struggle for independence and freedom with several stages each representing significant figures and events during the history of Latvia.
The granite monument stands 42.5 metres high and is the work of the Latvian sculptor Kārlis Zāle. Financed entirely from public donations, the monument was unveiled in November 1935 with construction lasting four years.
Striving for freedom is represented with the ‘Chain Breakers’ attempting to break free.
The front of the monument features travertine reliefs of Latvian Riflemen symbolising the Russian Revolution and Latvian War of Independence.
The monument features a woman in copper above the marble obelisk. The three golden stars the woman holds represent the historic regions Kurzeme, Vidzeme, and Latgale.
Next to Okupācijas Muzejs in Rātslaukums (Town Square) is the Monument to the Latvian Red Riflemen. The monument is dedicated to the Riflemen who guarded the Russian communist Vladimir Ilyich Lenin during the Russian Revolution.
The red granite monument is the work of the Latvian Sculptor Valdis Albergs and was unveiled in 1971.
The inscription on the base of the plinth translates “For the Latvian Red Riflemen 1915-1920.”