Eggleston Hall: Low Lodge

EggLodge

Situated next to the entrance gates of Eggleston Hall is Low Lodge. Dating to circa 1827, the Lodge is constructed of coursed sandstone ashlar. The design of the one storey building is attributed to the 19th century English architect Ignatius Bonomi. Built in the Greek style, the three bay Lodge features sash windows and paired Doric columns on plinths which support the pedimented entablature. Low Lodge is Grade II Listed.

Lichfield: St John’s Prep School

StJohns2

Located on St John’s Street is the former Preparatory School. Built in the Greek Revival style during the late 18th century, the building features tripartite sash windows and pedimented first floor windows. The building is now a hotel and is Grade II* listed.

StJohns1

The four bay colonnade replicates the columns featured on the Tower of the Winds in Athens with wreaths decorating the frieze

Berlin: Neue Wache

NeueWach1

The Neue Wache (New Guard House) is located on the north side of Unter den Linden. The building was constructed in 1816-1818 as a guard house for the troops of the Crown Prince of Prussia, King Friedrick William III. Karl Friedrich Schinkel, the Prussian architect, furniture and stage set designer and city planner was commissioned to design the building. Schinkel was known for his Greek Revival style of architecture which can be seen with the Doric order of columns and the portrayal of the Greek Goddess Nike in the statuary of the pediment.

 

NeueWache

Until the end of World War I, the building continued to serve as a royal guard house. The German architect and urban planner Heinrich Tessenow was commissioned in 1931 to redesign the building as a war memorial for the fallen during the war. Tessenow added an oculus to the building which then became known as the ‘Memorial for the Fallen of the War’. The sculpture ‘Mother with her Dead Son’ is the work of Kathe Kollwitz who was a German sculptor, painter and printmaker. Directly under the oculus, the sculpture is symbolic of the suffering of civilians during World War II.