The above Jaguar is part of the collection at Lakeland Motor Museum. There were three body styles in the XK120/140/150 range – the fixed head coupe (as above), the drop head coupe and the super sports – often called the roadster which featured a simpler hood, side screens rather than wind up windows and a more water resistant dashboard covering. Similar to the Jaguar XK120, wire wheels or wire-spoke wheels were an optional extra whereas cars with the standard disc wheels had spats (fender skirts) over the rear wheel opening. This stunning Jaguar also features a heavier full width bumper rather than the two lightweight thin bumpers found on the XK120.
The Triumph Tiger range was introduced by Edward Turner following his installation as Chief Designer and General Manager at Triumph Engineering. The motorcycle producing arm of Triumph hadn’t been performing well in the early 1930’s and was sold off in 1936 to JY Sangster of Ariel. Valentine Page was a British motorcycle designer who worked for several of the UK’s leading marques, including Ariel, Triumph, and BSA. Edward Turner took Page’s range of 2/1, 3/1 and 5/1 (250, 350 and 500cc single cylinders) adding chrome petrol tanks, upswept exhausts and polished crankcases, and gave them Tiger 70, 80 and 90 models names relating to their top. This particular model above is on display at Lakeland Motor Museum and was bought new in October 1937 by Sydney Waterfield of Manchester. He used the motorcycle extensively for commuting as well as pleasure trips including visits to the Isle of Man TT, Silverstone and other race circuits. After WWII, rear suspension became popular on new motorcycles and the bike was converted from the original rigid rear end to a swing-arm and dual seat. It is believed that this is a McCandless design, produced under license by Feridax, who still produce motorcycling accessories and clothing. Continuing to use the motorcycle throughout the 1960’s and 1970’s, Mr Waterfield made a note of all maintenance work undertaken. He had a second engine which he refurbished and swapped over every summer. Upon his retirement in 1980, it remained untouched in his garage until his death in 1999. His family arranged its restoration to the fantastic condition seen today.
British brothers William and Edward Douglas founded the Douglas Motorcycle company in Bristol in 1882. The firm was founded as a blacksmiths and iron foundry, producing their first motorcycle, a 2.75Hp flat twin, in 1907. The company won an army contract during WW1 and produced 25,000 machines for the use of dispatch riders on the worst terrain of the front. The above rare model is on display at Lakeland Motor Museum and features a horizontally opposed engine – also known as a flat twin or boxer, mounted longitudinally – in line with the length of the frame (See the two cylinder heads, one behind the front wheel and the other towards the back wheel). The Fore and Aft description is the nautical term for a boat with its sails in line with its keel, such as on a sloop or a schooner. Later motorcycles used this engine configuration but mounted transversely (across the frame). The design meant the motorcycle was longer than others with single cylinder, or v-twin engines, and is more suited to riding on straight roads than twisty ones. That said, Douglas had success in motorcycle racing, speedway and trials events – even securing wins at the Isle of Man TT races with various sporting models. For almost three years, the Dirt Track Douglas was the supreme dirt track machine selling around 1200 in 1929 alone. In the 1920’s, Douglas built the first disc brakes and had a Royal Warrant for the supply of motorcycles to the Princes, Albert and Henry. Following bankruptcy in 1935, Douglas reappeared after WWII with a range of motorcycles that were far less successful than the Vespa scooter they imported and produced under license. The 1955 350cc Douglas Dragonfly was the last model produced by the company. Westinghouse Brake and Signal bought Douglas out and production of Douglas Motorcycles ended in 1957. Douglas continued to import Vespa scooters into the UK and later imported and assembled Gilera motorcycles.
Italian car manufacturer Alfa Romeo began in 1910 as A.L.F.A – Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili. During the First World War, entrepreneur Nicola Romeo took over the firm and in 1920 they returned to car production with the new company name. The Milan based factory only made vehicles in left hand drive except for a small batch of 404 Giulia Spiders, all produced in 1963 and sold to right hand drive markets, including Britain, Australasia and South Africa. The above example was one of the last produced, only selling in September 1964.
Spider is the name Alfa Romeo and Ferrari used to describe its cabriolet/roadster models. Many vehicle body styles come from horse drawn vehicle descriptions, both Cabriolet and Roadster are used to describe a vehicle with only one row of seats, a folding hood and no window frames – a convertible differs in that it can have two rows of seats and possibly fixed side window frames.
This model was based on the previous Giuletta Spider – rather than the new Giulia’s underpinnings, but using the Giulia’s larger and more powerful 1600cc twin overhead camshaft 4 cylinder engine – the only external difference in the two models is the raised bonnet centre which is to clear the taller engine. This fabulous vehicle is on display in the Lakeland Motor Museum and is 1 of 404 made in right hand drive.
On display at Lakeland Motor Museum is the above model of the 1886 Benz Patent Motorwagen. The 1886 Benz was the first motor vehicle ever that was successfully powered by internal combustion. There was already automobiles that were powered by steam or electricity but the German engine designer, Karl Benz, secured success for his invention on 29th January 1886 when he presented his stroke of genius at the Imperial Patent Office. His single-cylinder 4-stroke engine with a displacement of 0.954 of a litre anticipated elements still found in every internal combustion engine to this day: a crankshaft with balance weights, electric ignition and water cooling: enough to generate 0.55 kW and a top speed of 16 km/h, virtually corresponding to the power of a whole horse. This beautiful model is the first 1:8 scale precision die-cast.