Walter de Langton was Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield from 1296-1321 and was also the treasurer of England. Walter was born in c1265 in West Langton in Leicestershire. He built the Lady Chapel at Lichfield Cathedral and was responsible for many other repairs to the building. He served as treasurer to King Edward I and was the principle executor of the Last Will of the King. A marble effigy of Bishop de Langton lies in Lichfield Cathedral.
The rebuilding of the west front of Lichfield Cathedral was began shortly after 1285. The central doorway is richly decorated and features sculpted figures on the central pillar and sides of the porch. The west front remained unaltered and escaped damage during the Reformation of the 16th century. Many of the statues were damaged during the 17th century parliamentarian siege and occupation with a large number of medieval statues being removed during the mid 18th century.
The sculpted figures which remain in the porch are the work of the 19th century British sculptor Mary Grant. The statues date to the time of the Victorian restoration work of George Gilbert Scott with figures of Moses and Aaron on either side of the doorway. The central pillar has the figure of the Virgin Mary holding Jesus with the figure of St Mary Magdalene on the left.
Henry Ryder was the son of Lord Harrowby and studied at both Harrow and Cambridge. He became a canonry at Windsor in 1808 which he left in 1812 to accept the Deanery of Wells. He went on to become Bishop of Gloucester and of Coventry and Lichfield. The sculpture of Bishop Ryder stands in Lichfield Cathedral and is the work of the 19th century English sculptor Sir Francis Legatt Chantrey.
Although buried at Eccleshall, in the north choir aisle of Lichfield Cathedral is the memorial monument and effigy of Bishop John Lonsdale. John Lonsdale was Bishop of Lichfield from 1843-1867. The marble effigy is the work of the 19th century Victorian sculptor and painter George Frederick Watts. The canopy, of medieval Gothic Revival design, was designed by the 19th century English architect George Gilbert Scott who was responsible for the Victorian restoration of Lichfield Cathedral. The plinth underneath the effigy features shields decorated with the Lonsdale Coat of Arms.
The Sleeping Children is a sculpted monument in memory of two children. The monument is dedicated to the children of the Reverend William Robinson and his wife Ellen-Jane – Ellen-Jane and Marianne. The marble monument was placed in Lichfield Cathedral in 1817 and is the work of the 19th century English sculptor Sir Francis Legatt Chantrey.
Located on the wall in the north aisle of Lichfield Cathedral is an oval monument in memory of Theophania, daughter of Thomas Coningsby – Lord of North Mims. The white marble monument is richly decorated with foliated sculpture, cherubs and features the Coningsby Arms at the top with the Arms of the Deanery of Lichfield at the bottom.
Located in the Pedilavium in Lichfield Cathedral is the bronze sculpture of Edward Sydney Woods who was Bishop of Lichfield from 1937-1953. The sculpture is the work of the American born sculptor, painter and illustrator, Sir Jacob Epstein and was created in 1958. Epstein was a member who founded the London Group in 1913 and he was knighted in 1954.