Lichfield: College & Library

FriarySch1

Located on The Friary is Lichfield College and Library. Dating to circa 1295, the buildings were part of the Franciscan Friary which was first established in circa 1237. The brick and ashlar buildings feature gables, casement, sash and oriel windows and mullions.

FriarySch2

The Friary buildings were purchased in 1538 by a leading Lichfield figure, Gregory Stonynge, after the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII. Retaining some of the Friary buildings, Stonynge converted them into a large house. The site was extended in 1921-28 by Colonel GC Lowbridge who was the county and Staffordshire Education Committee architect. Now home to the college and library, the buildings are Grade II listed.

Advertisements

Lichfield: Castle Ditch Carriage Drive

CastleDitch1

Connecting St John Street and Frog Lane is a former carriage drive known as Castle Ditch. The grid street plan of Lichfield, which is still present today, was the design of the medieval Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield – Roger de Clinton. The Bishop expanded Lichfield and built a moat around the city. Following the building of the third Grammar School in 1849, Castle Ditch Carriage Drive was closed and a plaque now bears testimony to the history of the site.

CastleDitch