Lichfield: Bishop Henry Ryder

BishopRyder

Henry Ryder 1777-1836

Henry Ryder was the son of Lord Harrowby and studied at both Harrow and Cambridge. He became a canonry at Windsor in 1808 which he left in 1812 to accept the Deanery of Wells. He went on to become Bishop of Gloucester and of Coventry and Lichfield. The sculpture of Bishop Ryder stands in Lichfield Cathedral and is the work of the 19th century English sculptorĀ Sir Francis Legatt Chantrey.