Florence: Michelangelo’s David

David

Outside the entrance to Palazzo Vecchio stands the marble statue of David. To celebrate the Florentine Republic, Michelangelo was commissioned in 1501 to create a statue, now famously known as David. The biblical hero of David was to become the symbol of freedom for Florentine institutions. The statue was moved to the Academia Gallery in 1873.

David1

The statue which now stands outside the Palazzo Vecchio is a marble copy which was erected in 1910.

Florence: Hercules & Cacus

HerCacus1

Outside the entrance to the Palazzo Vecchio in the Piazza della Signoria is a marble sculpture of Hercules. The sculpture depicts Hercules standing over Cacus who, in Roman mythology, was a giant who breathed fire.

HerCacus

The sculpture is the work of the 16th century High Renaissance and Mannerist sculptor Baccio Bandinelli. Completed between 1525 – 1534, the sculpture stands over five metres high.